Calculate d2z/dx2 at x=10 Using Finite Differences

• Thread starter eluu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finite
In summary, the general expression for the second derivative of slope at the central point with an accuracy of order h3 is d2z/dx2 = (z-2z1+z2)/h2 - (z2-z0)/(2h3) and when applied to the given points, d2z/dx2 at x=10 is equal to -0.12.
eluu
Given the elevations of five points that are equally spaced by distance 'h' in a horizontal direction, derive a general expression to determine the second derivative of slope at the central point with an accuracy of order h3

If elevation is given by 'z' and horizontal distance by 'x', use your result to calculate d2z / dx2 at x=10

x | 0 | 5 | 10 | 15 | 20
z | 6 | 7 | 9 | 10 | 9

I am stumped at this question with no idea where to start mainly cos its asking for the second instead of the first derivative which would just mean fi = (-fi-1 + fi+1) / (-xi-1 + xi+1)

Also the fact that its accuracy of order h3 rather than h2 or h4 etc...

Help? I'm thinking a matrix will be involved in this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: The general expression to determine the second derivative of slope at the central point with an accuracy of order h3 is given by d2z/dx2 = (z-2z1+z2)/h2 - (z2-z0)/(2h3). Applying this formula to the given points, d2z/dx2 at x=10 is given by (9-2*7+6)/25 - (6-10)/20 = -0.12.

1. How do I calculate d2z/dx2 at x=10 using finite differences?

To calculate d2z/dx2 at x=10 using finite differences, you will need to use a specific formula: d2z/dx2 = (z(xi+1) - 2z(xi) + z(xi-1)) / (Δx)^2. This formula represents the second-order centered difference for a discrete function z(xi) at a specific point x=xi. Simply plug in the values for z(xi+1), z(xi), and z(xi-1) at x=10 and the value for Δx (which represents the difference between each x value in your dataset) to get your result.

2. What is the significance of calculating d2z/dx2 at x=10?

Calculating d2z/dx2 at x=10 allows you to find the second derivative of a function at a specific point. This can be useful in determining the curvature of a curve at that point, or in identifying any inflection points. It can also be used in various mathematical and scientific calculations and analyses.

3. Can I use any finite difference formula to calculate d2z/dx2 at x=10?

While there are various finite difference formulas that can be used to calculate derivatives, it is important to use the specific formula for second-order centered difference when calculating d2z/dx2 at x=10. This is because this formula takes into account the values of z at both x=10 and its neighboring points, resulting in a more accurate calculation.

4. What if I don't have a dataset for z at various x values?

If you do not have a dataset for z at various x values, it will not be possible to calculate d2z/dx2 at x=10 using finite differences. This method requires at least three data points (z values) at three different x values. However, there may be other methods or techniques available for determining the second derivative at a specific point without a dataset.

5. Is there a way to verify the accuracy of my calculation for d2z/dx2 at x=10?

Yes, there are a few ways to verify the accuracy of your calculation for d2z/dx2 at x=10. One way is to compare your result to the second derivative calculated using a different method, such as using the limit definition of a derivative. Another way is to check if your result follows the expected behavior of the function, such as identifying inflection points or verifying the curvature at x=10. You can also try adjusting the value of Δx and see how it affects your result.