Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite element analysis alternative?

1. Nov 21, 2004 #1
    finite element analysis alternative??

hi do you happen to know any alternative for using Finite Element Analysis(FEA)? i need to know it badly.. hope someone could help. thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2004 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you can be a bit more specific about your problem I'm sure people can came up with more alternatives ... ? In principle any numerical method suited for solution of partial differential equations is a potential alternative, if considering FEM - like methods with similar properties & "power" when applied to complex PDE problems there is stuff like the boundary element method, people still use the finite difference method, meshfree methods etc.

4. Nov 21, 2004 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Make some simplifying assumptions and derive the equations of motion from first principles.

FEA is a much easier alternative.

5. Nov 21, 2004 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Other than being able to solve a PDE analytically, FEM and FDM are pretty much it.

However, one can employ a relatively new technique, BEM or Boundary Element Method - http://www.boundary-element-method.com/

The method depends on the problem.

6. Nov 21, 2004 #5

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Dec 16, 2004 #6
    You could also try energy methods...

I recommend:
    Galerkin's Method
    Rayleigh's Quotient
    Rayleigh-Ritz Method
    Assumed Modes Method

Any good structures or vibrations text will give you what you need.

Cheers...

8. Dec 16, 2004 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

I understand this is a stretch.. but can anyone recommend any open source.. or even better.. a free FEA/FDM software for windows or *nix

9. Dec 16, 2004 #8

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I use this nowadays for most of my analyses :

http://cern49.ce.uiuc.edu/cfm/warp3d.html

its a complete package, constantly under serious development and state-of-the-art, kicks the butt of most commercial software.

10. Dec 30, 2004 #9
    Thanks for that link, Perennial. I'll download that after the New Year.

11. Dec 30, 2004 #10

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're welcome ... it's well documented, has lots of examples and a good manual (even access to source code) ... I've used it for the past 10 years and have a whole lot of material on it (like interfaces towards different FEA software formats) ... so I can probably come up with something if you run into trouble.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?