Finite Field Structure: Prime Order Cyclic Group

In that example, the two fields are isomorphic as fields but not as rings. When you say "the multiplicative structure of an abelian group", I think you are talking about something other than the multiplication operation on that group.
Dragonfall
Take a prime order cyclic group. I want to take that as the additive group of a finite field. Since every finite field of the same order is isomorphic to one another, does the isomorphism define a multiplicative group structure on my cyclic group elements?

Physics news on Phys.org
If every field of order n is isomorphic then there can only be one possible multiplicative structure on the prime cyclic additive group, and hence the isomorphism is just the identity. Is that what you mean?

Yes. But I forgot an additional criterion.

In the additive group, we can "multiply" by an integer n as nx= x+...+x, n times. Does the multiplication * defined by said isomorphism always satisfy

[tex](ax)*(by) = (x+...+x)*(y+...+y) = (ab)(xy) = xy+...+xy[/tex]

For positive integers a, b and group elements x, y?

In other words, your choice to take the additive group of integers modulo p, a prime, as the addition pretty much forces you to take multiplication modulo p as the multiplication.

(Notice that the additive group of integers, modulo n, where n is not a prime, is a perfectly good group but the multiplication has zero-divisors so does not give you a field.)

'Multiplication' by repeated addition is not the same as multiplication of group elements. The additive group is a module over the ring of integers ##\mathbb{Z}##. The repeated addition of a group element to itsefl is multiplication of a module element by a ring element. That is not necessarily the same as multiplication of two group elements.

Consider the additive group ##\mathbb{Z}_3## = {0,1,2} such that 1+2=2+1=0, 1+1=2, 2+2=1, 0+0=0, 1+0=0+1=1, 2+0=0+2=2.
Note that we could swap the roles of 1 and 2 in the above and it would remain an abelian group.

So can put either of the following multiplicative structures on it:

For both structures 0.x=0

Structure A: 1.x=x.1=x, 2.2=1. This is the multiplicative structure of ##\mathbb{Z}_3## qua field.
Structure B: 2.x = x.2=x, 1.1=2. This is the struture we get by swapping the roles of 1 and 2.

The two fields are isomorphic via the map 1<-->2, 0-<-->0.

If this reasoning is correct then it means that there can be more than one multiplicative structure on at least one such group, and hence the isomorphism is not always trivial.

andrewkirk said:
'Multiplication' by repeated addition is not the same as multiplication of group elements.

Yes, but I need integer multiplication and field multiplication to satisfy the equation above.

Dragonfall said:
Yes, but I need integer multiplication and field multiplication to satisfy the equation above.
I didn't say we can't have them. They come for free with every abelian group. It is standard in algebra to treat an abelian group as a module over the integers. The equation you wrote above is valid and can be proven simply by using (1) the commutativity of abelian group operations (which is denoted by the '+' symbol in this case) and (2) the distributive law for the ring of integers.

What I was saying is that multiplication of a group element by an integer (which is multiplication of a module element by an element of the over-arching ring) is not the same thing as multiplication of one group element by another, and the example in post 5 demonstrates why.

1. What is a Finite Field Structure?

A Finite Field Structure is a mathematical structure that consists of a finite set of elements and operations, in which all the basic arithmetic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) follow the usual rules of arithmetic. It is commonly used in cryptography and coding theory.

2. What is a Prime Order Cyclic Group?

A Prime Order Cyclic Group is a type of Finite Field Structure in which the elements are generated by a single element, called a generator, through repeated application of the group operation. The order of the group is a prime number, meaning that the generator can generate all the elements in the group by taking powers of itself.

3. What are the applications of Finite Field Structure: Prime Order Cyclic Group?

Finite Field Structure: Prime Order Cyclic Group has various applications in cryptography, such as in the Diffie-Hellman key exchange protocol and the Elliptic Curve Cryptography. It is also used in coding theory for error correction in data transmission and storage.

4. How is a Finite Field Structure: Prime Order Cyclic Group different from a regular group?

A Finite Field Structure: Prime Order Cyclic Group has the additional property of being finite, while a regular group can have infinite elements. Also, in a prime order cyclic group, every element can be expressed as a power of the generator, whereas in a regular group, this may not be possible.

5. How is a Finite Field Structure: Prime Order Cyclic Group constructed?

To construct a Finite Field Structure: Prime Order Cyclic Group, a prime number is chosen as the order of the group. Then, a generator is selected from the set of integers modulo the chosen prime. The elements of the group are generated by taking powers of the generator, and the group operation is defined based on the arithmetic rules of the underlying field.