1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite fields and products of polynomials

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question is in two parts and is about the field F with q = p^n for some prime p.
    1) Prove that the product of all monic polynomials of degree m in F is equal to
    [tex]\prod [/tex] (x^(q^n)-x^(q^i), where the product is taken from i=0 to i=m-1
    2) Prove that the least common multiple of all monic polynomials of degree m in F is equal to
    [tex]\prod [/tex] (x^(q^i)-x)[/tex], where the product is taken from i=1 to i=m

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did an induction argument on part 1 of the problem, which i believe to be correct. All polynomials of degree m+1 are representable uniquely as x*f+a, where f has degree m, and a is an element of Fq. there is probably a better solution, and i'm not even sure how to start the second part of the problem.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?