What is the Finite Field Order of Z[i]/A in Z[i] with A=<1+i>?

In summary, the finite field order of Z[i]/A refers to the number of elements in the finite field generated by the quotient ring Z[i]/A, which is calculated using the formula q = p^n. This number is always finite and has significance in abstract algebra, number theory, cryptography, and coding theory. The finite field order is related to the order of the ideal A through the formula q = p^n.
missavvy

Homework Statement

If A=<1+i> in Z, show that Z/A is a finite field and find its order

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start...

Z/A = {m+ni + A, m, n integers} ? is that right?

And I don't know what else to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can use that 2=(1+i)(1-i)...

1. What is the definition of "Finite Field Order of Z[i]/A"?

The finite field order of Z[i]/A refers to the number of elements in the finite field generated by the quotient ring Z[i]/A, where Z[i] is the ring of Gaussian integers and A is an ideal in Z[i]. It represents the size or cardinality of the finite field.

2. How is the finite field order of Z[i]/A calculated?

The finite field order of Z[i]/A can be calculated using the formula q = p^n, where p is a prime number and n is the degree of the quotient ring Z[i]/A. This is based on the fact that the finite field generated by Z[i]/A has q elements, where q is a power of a prime number.

3. Can the finite field order of Z[i]/A be infinite?

No, the finite field order of Z[i]/A is always a finite number. This is because the quotient ring Z[i]/A is a finite ring, and the finite field generated by it will also have a finite number of elements.

4. What is the significance of the finite field order of Z[i]/A?

The finite field order of Z[i]/A is important in abstract algebra and number theory, as it provides insights into the structure and properties of finite fields. It also has practical applications in cryptography and coding theory, where finite fields are used to construct error-correcting codes and encryption algorithms.

5. How does the finite field order of Z[i]/A relate to the order of the ideal A?

The finite field order of Z[i]/A is related to the order of the ideal A through the formula q = p^n, where p is the prime factorization of the order of A and n is the degree of the quotient ring Z[i]/A. This relationship allows us to calculate the finite field order of Z[i]/A by knowing the order of the ideal A.