1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite group G=ST

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let G be a finite group, and let S and T be nonempty subsets.Prove either G=ST={st|s is in S, t is in T} or |G|>=|S|+|T|

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So it is to prove G=ST, if |G|<|S|+|T|, which means also the intersection of S and T is nonempty (Note two smaller subsets can also have nonempty intersection, so |G|<|S|+|T| should have more properties than nonemptiness, but I fail to find one ). [tex]ST\subset G[/tex] is obvious. I want to prove the other direction by saying any g in G can be represented as g=st for some s,t, or [tex]s_{i}T[/tex] covers G.
    This is what I 've done:
    Let x be an element in both S and T. then x^2 is in ST. But x^2 can be outside S and T, So it is possible that [tex]x^{3}\notin ST[/tex], which seems to become useless...
    Any hint would be appreciated....

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is really an annoying question. Did you get it? I didn't.

4. Oct 30, 2008 #3
    No. The only thing I proved is that it is true when G is abelian. But..when G is nonabelian, it is a headache.

5. Oct 30, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let S={s_1,...,s_|S|} and T={t_1,...,t_|T|}. Suppose that there is some x in G but not in ST. Then x != s_i t_j. In particular, (s_i)^(-1) x is never in T. Use this to deduce that |S| <= |G|-|T|.

6. Oct 30, 2008 #5
    Ah, yea, it is true!
    I only tried to make a 1-1 correspondence from those elements g in both S ant T to something outside S and T and got stuck since g^(-1)x can possibly drop in S again.
    Thanks!

7. Oct 30, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?