Finite non-abelian group of the order pq, pq primes

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem in Abstract Algebra regarding a finite group with a unique non-abelian group if p|q-1. The question is whether this can be proven without using automorphisms and if the tools provided in the course are sufficient. The solution involves using a semidirect product and considering the action of one factor on the other. The concept of automorphisms is mentioned and can be found in the course notes on the website of Roy Smith.
Sportin' Life
Howdy, all. I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question. It isn't exactly an homework question, but it does stem very closely from a homework assignment in a first year graduate course in Abstract Algebra. The assignment has come and gone with limited success on my part, but some questions remain.

The problem was the well known one about a finite group G, |G| = pq where p<q primes. The object was to use Sylow Theorems to show that there is a unique (up to isomorphism) non-abelian group G if, and only if, p|q-1. Of course it is simple to show the case where p does not divide q-1, and my problem came from proving the other case. My question about that case is: Can one prove that there is such a unique non-abelian group without using any theory of automorphisms? Specifically is there a clever group action that can deliver the desired result?

The reason I ask is that our course has not mentioned automorphisms one bit. The text we are using is Ash Abstract Algebra: The Basic Graduate Year, though most of our problems are pulled from Herstein's Topics in Algebra. I have managed to read through the Herstein and pull out the tools I need for the problem, but could I have done the problem with the theory that has so far been provided? So far in a nutshell we have had the isomorphism theorems, the definition of group action, the orbit stabilizer theorem, and the class equation.

Thank you for your time. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Abelian case is ##G \cong \mathbb{Z}_p \times \mathbb{Z}_q##, which means for a non Abelian group G we will have a semidirect product, which means one factor operates via an automorphism on the other one. Thus we will automatically have to deal with an automorphism. Now if you do not want to name it, you will have to use the mapping.

The question comes down to: Which one of the two factors is the normal subgroup and how does a non trivial conjugation of the non normal subgroup on the normal one looks like?
This gives you at least the action you are looking for.

this is treated on pages 43-46 of the notes for math 843-1 on my webpage. The word automorphism does occur however, in the context of a group action, as noted by fresh_42.
https://www.math.uga.edu/directory/people/roy-smith

1. What is a finite non-abelian group of the order pq?

A finite non-abelian group of the order pq is a mathematical concept that refers to a group with a specific number of elements, where p and q are both prime numbers. It is non-abelian because the order in which the group elements are multiplied matters, unlike in abelian groups where the order does not matter.

2. What are the properties of a finite non-abelian group of the order pq?

Some properties of a finite non-abelian group of the order pq include the fact that it has p*q elements, it has a non-trivial center, and it is isomorphic to a subgroup of the general linear group GL(2,p) or GL(2,q). It also has a non-trivial normal subgroup of order p or q.

3. How do you determine the order of a finite non-abelian group of the order pq?

The order of a finite non-abelian group of the order pq is determined by multiplying the two prime numbers, p and q. This means that the group will have p*q elements.

4. What are some examples of finite non-abelian groups of the order pq?

Some examples of finite non-abelian groups of the order pq include the dihedral group of order 6, the quaternion group of order 8, and the symmetric group of order 12. These groups have different structures and elements, but all have p*q elements in total.

5. What are the applications of finite non-abelian groups of the order pq?

Finite non-abelian groups of the order pq have various applications in mathematics and other fields. For example, they are used in cryptography, coding theory, and in the study of symmetry and geometric structures. They also have applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics.