Finite Potential Well Solutions

In summary, the general solutions for the stationary Schrödinger equation in regions I, II, and III are given by expressions involving exponential and trigonometric functions. To obtain a specific solution, boundary conditions must be applied, resulting in a system of equations. The authors of most books state that the solutions for even and odd solutions can be found by setting either C or D to zero, respectively. This is based on the relationship between cos(x) and cos(-x), as well as sin(x) and sin(-x).
71GA
Lets say we have a finite square well symetric around ##y## axis (picture below).

screenshot-from-2013-03-.png

I know how and why general solutions to the second order ODE (stationary Schrödinger equation) are as follows for the regions I, II and III.

\begin{align}
\text{I:}& & \psi_{\text{I}}&= Ae^{\kappa x} \\
\text{III:}& & \psi_{\text{III}}&= Be^{-\kappa x} \\
\text{II:}& & \psi_{\text{II}}&= C \cos(k x) + D\sin(kx)
\end{align}

But now i got to a point where i have to start applying a boundary conditions to get a speciffic solution. So i start with the 1st boundary condition which is ##\psi_{\text{I}}\left(-\frac{d}{2}\right)=\psi_{\text{II}}\left(-\frac{d}{2}\right)## for the left potential shift and ##\psi_{\text{II}}\left(\frac{d}{2}\right)=\psi_{\text{III}}\left(\frac{d}{2}\right)## for the right potential shift. These leave me with a system of 2 equations (one for left and one for right potential shift):

\begin{align}
{\scriptsize\text{left potential shift:}}& & Ae^{-\kappa \frac{d}{2}} &= C \cos\left(k\tfrac{d}{2}\right) - D\sin\left(k \tfrac{d}{2}\right)\\
{\scriptsize \text{right potential shift:}}& & Be^{-\kappa \frac{d}{2}} &= C \cos\left(k\tfrac{d}{2}\right) + D\sin\left(k \tfrac{d}{2}\right)\\
\end{align}

Question 1:
From here on authors of most books don't seem to explain much. Most of them only say that we must use ##\boxed{D\!=\!0}## to solve for even solutions and ##\boxed{C\!=\!0}## to solve for *odd solutions*. What is this argument based on?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
71GA said:
From here on authors of most books don't seem to explain much. Most of them only say that we must use ##\boxed{C\!=\!0}## to solve for even solutions and ##\boxed{D\!=\!0}## to solve for *odd solutions*. What is this argument based on?

How is cos(x) related to cos(-x) and how is sin(x) related to sin(-x)?

(apologies in advance if I've missed the point of your question)

What is a Finite Potential Well?

A Finite Potential Well is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics where a particle is confined to a region with a finite potential energy. The potential energy is typically represented by a potential energy barrier, where the particle can only exist within the boundaries of the barrier.

What are the properties of a Finite Potential Well?

The properties of a Finite Potential Well include a finite depth, width, and height of the potential energy barrier. Additionally, the well has a finite number of bound states, where the particle can exist within the well with a quantized energy level. The potential energy barrier also creates a potential energy step, where the particle's energy decreases as it approaches the barrier and increases as it moves away from the barrier.

How does the wave function behave in a Finite Potential Well?

The wave function in a Finite Potential Well will have a finite amplitude within the boundaries of the well and will decay exponentially outside of the well. This is due to the potential energy barrier creating a potential energy step, which causes the wave function to decrease in amplitude as it approaches the barrier. The wave function will also have a sinusoidal shape within the well, with the number of nodes (points of zero amplitude) depending on the energy level of the particle.

What is the significance of Finite Potential Well solutions?

Finite Potential Well solutions are important in understanding the behavior of particles in confined systems, such as atoms and molecules. They also have practical applications in the fields of nanotechnology and quantum computing. Additionally, the solutions provide insight into the nature of quantized energy levels and the wave-particle duality of quantum particles.

How are Finite Potential Well solutions calculated?

Finite Potential Well solutions can be calculated using various mathematical methods, such as the Schrödinger equation, the wave function, and the boundary conditions of the potential energy barrier. These calculations can be solved analytically or numerically using computer programs. The solutions provide information about the energy levels and wave function of the particle within the well.