How to Expand Finite Series in a Shorter Form?

In summary, the blue term needs to be expanded further. Just try writing out one explicit example, say for n=2. Often, the compact summation notation obscures otherwise obvious patterns.
JulmaJuha
Hello :blushing:

How to do expand this: [itex](\sum_{j=1}^{n}(X(t_j)-X(t_{j-1}))^2 - t)^2[/itex] where [itex]X(t_j)-X(t_{j-1}) = \Delta X_j[/itex]

to this: [itex](\sum_{j=1}^{n}(\Delta X_j)^4 + 2*\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sum_{j<i}^{ }(\Delta X_i)^2(\Delta X_j)^2[/itex] [itex]-2*t*\sum_{j=1}^{n}(\Delta X_j)^2+t^2[/itex]I get near the North Pole... but it seems that I've forgotten some fundamental rules of finite series to do the last part of the manipulation :smile:.I assume that the blue part has to be expaned further. This is what I've done:

[itex]\sum_{j=1}^{n}(\Delta X_i)^2 = a,t=b[/itex]

[itex]E[(a-b)^2]=E[a^2-2ab+b^2]=E[\color{blue} {(\sum_{j=1}^{n}(\Delta X)^2)^2} \color{black} -2*t*\sum_{j=1}^{n}(\Delta X)^2+t^2][/itex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I may be misunderstanding something, but I think the second term (with the double sum in [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]j[/itex]) should be multiplied by [itex]2[/itex]. Either that or the sum in [itex]j[/itex] should be over [itex]j \neq i[/itex] rather than [itex]j<i[/itex].

Anyway, you are correct to say that the blue term needs to be expanded further. Just try writing out one explicit example, say for [itex]n=2[/itex]. Often, the compact summation notation obscures otherwise obvious patterns.

Also, you can use [itex]( \sum_j f_j )^2 = ( \sum_j f_j ) ( \sum_i f_i )[/itex].

krome you're correct, its supposed to be multiplied by 2

JulmaJuha said:
krome you're correct, its supposed to be multiplied by 2

No, it should not be multiplied by 2. If ##a_i = (\Delta X_i)^2##, you have to expand the sum
[tex]\left(\sum_i (a_i-t)\right)^2 = \left( \sum_i a_i - nt \right)^2
= \sum_i a_i^2 + 2\sum_{i<j} a_i a_j - 2nt \sum_i a_i + n^2 t^2.[/tex]

JulmaJuha said:
[itex](\sum_{j=1}^{n}(\Delta X_j)^4 + 2*\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sum_{j<i}^{ }(\Delta X_i)^2(\Delta X_j)^2[/itex] [itex]-2*t*\sum_{j=1}^{n}(\Delta X_j)^2+t^2[/itex]

Good lord! I must be going mad or selectively blind. I swear when I read this last night the second term did not have a factor of 2! :confused:

What is a finite series expansion?

A finite series expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function or expression by breaking it down into a sum of simpler terms. This allows for easier calculation and analysis of the original function or expression.

What is the purpose of using finite series expansion?

The purpose of using finite series expansion is to approximate a function or expression that may be difficult or impossible to evaluate directly. It allows for a simpler representation of the original function, making it easier to study and analyze. It is also useful for solving differential equations and in numerical methods.

What are the most common methods for finding finite series expansions?

The most common methods for finding finite series expansions are the Taylor series, the Maclaurin series, and the Fourier series. These methods involve using calculus and trigonometry to break down the original function into a sum of terms that can be easily evaluated.

What are the limitations of finite series expansions?

Finite series expansions are only accurate within a certain range of values and may not accurately represent a function or expression outside of that range. They also require a large number of terms to achieve a more precise approximation, which can be computationally expensive.

What are some real-world applications of finite series expansions?

Finite series expansions have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used in modeling and predicting natural phenomena, such as the motion of particles in a fluid or the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used in financial models to analyze data and make predictions about market trends.