1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite set

1. Apr 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex] \left\{ e^{n r \pi i}: n \in \textbf{Z} \right\} , r \in \textbf{Q} [/tex]

I'm trying to show that this set is finite.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Other than the fact that these points lie on the unit circle in the complex plane, I'm not sure where to start. Any direction would be helpful. clearly there's a way to choose r or n and use periodicity to show a finite set of points for this sets. But I'm not sure how r and n could be chosen.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since r is a fraction, you could write it as p/q.

Knowing that [itex]e^{2 \pi i} = 1[/itex], can you show that the set has size [itex]{} \le q[/itex]?
  4. Apr 30, 2010 #3
    exp(2*pi*i)? from where did the 2 come?

I know that exp(n*pi*i) = 1 for n integer. if r= p/q, then exp(n*r*pi*i) = exp(2*p*pi*i) if n = 2*q... but no, I don't know why the set has size [tex] \leq q[/tex].
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  5. Apr 30, 2010 #4

Staff: Mentor

No, that's not true. exp(n*pi*i) alternates between 1 and -1, depending on whether n is even or odd, respectively.

6. Apr 30, 2010 #5
    well in this case n = 2q which is even right? And exp(2*p*pi*i) = 1 since 2*p is even as well since p is an integer. Later I can set n = 2q+1 to handle the odd cases, but I'm still trying to figure out why the set is finite. so I still need some help please.
  7. Apr 30, 2010 #6

Staff: Mentor

Pick a value for r = p/q, then look at values of exp(n*r*pi*i) for n = 1, 2, 3, and so on. What is it that eventually happens at some value of n and thereafter?
  8. Apr 30, 2010 #7
    Just a hint: start with r = 1/q, and plot [itex]e^{nr\pi i}[/itex] in the unit circle. What happens? How could you reduce the the cases where [itex]p\neq 1[/itex] to this one?
  9. May 4, 2010 #8
    got it, thanks everybody.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook