1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite sets homework problem

1. Feb 5, 2005 #1
    sets A and B. A cross B not equals the empty set. Prove that A or B is finite.

I think that you can't... don't ask me for my work because I have none.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2005 #2
    I agree.

The regular x,y coordinate system is a cross product of real numbers. Each ordered pair is an element of the cross product and it is not the empty set and yet set A = set B and set A is not finite.
  4. Feb 5, 2005 #3
    If anyone thinks that it can be proved, then just say that it can be and give me a hint in the right direction please.

Thanks for peeking in.
  5. Feb 5, 2005 #4
    I thought I just gave you a counter example. Your statement is basically a universally quantified statement for sets, unless I am reading it wrong, and so just a single counter example is sufficient to prove that it is not true. You cannot prove something is true if it is not true. I am not a expert on set theory but in this case it seems pretty straight foreword, no?

Best of luck...
  6. Feb 5, 2005 #5
    Sorry, but I am a total noob with sets. I see it as, if they ask you to prove something then it must be true; atleast it was true for all the other question.

As for this question I think that there is not enough info to conclude anything about A or B besides that none of them is an empty set. :confused: :grumpy: I've reread the set section and there is nothing about what makes a set finite(I do know what a finite set is).
  7. Feb 5, 2005 #6
    If the question said

A cross B is not the empty set, prove that there exist at least one case where set A or set B is finite, then you could but prove there is at least one case by showing one example. No problem

A={x,y} and B={r,s}

So A cross B is just

But your question asked in us to prove this is true for all sets A and B. How can you prove something that is not true?

I think you must have the question wrong because it really does not make much sense. I bet it asked to prove that if A or B is finite then A cross B is finite. Maybe you could look at the question one more time and make sure you got it right.

Best of luck
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?