1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Sheets

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider two thin disks, of negligible thickness, of radius R oriented perpendicular to the x axis such that the x axis runs through the center of each disk. The disk centered at x=0 has positive charge density n, and the disk centered at x=a has negative charge density -n , where the charge density is charge per unit area. What is the magnitude E of the electric field at the point on the x axis with x coordinate a/2?
    Express your answer in terms of n, R, a, and the permittivity of free space Epsilon0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since I can't type this out with proper math code legibly (or at least i don't know how to), I uploaded a picture of the sheet I did my work on. Please let me know where i went wrong! I also uploaded a pic of the problem so you can visualize it. Thank you!

Attached Files:

• work.jpg
      work.jpg
      File size:
      28.6 KB
      Views:
    • pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      3.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    i think that is what i did in my work??

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

One mistake is in your calculations is that you used n as the total charge on the disk. You didn't need to do that because n is the charge density; it's what you called [itex]\sigma[/itex].

Also, check your integration. You didn't show any steps, so I can't tell what you did wrong.

5. Jan 24, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Actually, I think your integration is correct, so it's just the other mistake. Everything else looks okay to me.

6. Jan 24, 2010 #5
    OOOHHH THANK YOU...yea i definitely thought n was the charge, not the charge desnity....got the answer correct when i fixed that....9 times out of 10, i usually just read the problem wrong! HAHA

thanks again! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook