How Many Bound States Exist in a Finite Square Well?

In summary, the problem involves a finite potential well with equations for the potential and energy. By setting the two equations equal to each other, it is determined that there are 2 bound states with energies that need to be solved for. This requires solving Schrodinger's equation and imposing boundary conditions, which may need to be done numerically.
joker314

Homework Statement

Based on the finite potential well defined by the following equations, how many bound states are there, which of these states are even and which are odd, and what are their energies?

V(x)= 0 for x[tex]\leq[/tex]-l/2 and x [tex]\geq[/tex] +l/2
V(x)=-[tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]/ma[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

E=n[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]/2mL[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the number of states I set [tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]/ma[tex]^{2}[/tex] equal to E=n[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]/2mL[tex]^{2}[/tex], substituting the value l in for L to get n[tex]\leq[/tex]8[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]

So this tells me that there are 2 bound states. N = 1 is the odd function, and N=2 is the even function. I do not however know how to get their energies, nor do I know if this is the correct way to solve the problem. Do I need to define the hamiltonian in the problem? If so, how do I go about doing that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am afraid your formula for energy is valid only for an infinite well.
Here you have a finite well (with "depth" = h^2/ma^2).
You have to solve Schrodinger equation for the three zones (x<-1/2, x between -1/ and 1/2 and x>1/2) and then impose boundary conditions. The wave functions from the neighboring regions must match at the boundary. These conditions will provide the allowed energies.
You may need to solve the "matching" equation numerically.
Good luck!

What is the Finite Square Well Problem?

The Finite Square Well Problem is a theoretical problem in quantum mechanics that involves studying the behavior of a particle confined to a finite potential well. This problem is often used as a simplified model for understanding the behavior of particles in a variety of physical systems.

What are the key features of the Finite Square Well Problem?

The main features of the Finite Square Well Problem include a finite potential well with a defined depth and width, and a particle with a defined energy level that is confined within the well. This setup allows for the study of particle behavior under a range of conditions, including different energy levels and potential well depths.

How is the Finite Square Well Problem solved?

The Finite Square Well Problem is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as the Schrödinger equation and boundary conditions. These equations allow for the determination of the allowed energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions for the particle within the well.

What are the applications of the Finite Square Well Problem?

The Finite Square Well Problem has many real-world applications, including in the study of atomic and molecular physics, solid-state physics, and nuclear physics. It is also used in the development of technologies such as semiconductor devices and quantum computing.

What are the limitations of the Finite Square Well Problem?

The Finite Square Well Problem is a simplified model and does not account for certain factors such as particle interactions and external forces. It also assumes a perfectly confined potential well, which may not be the case in real-world systems. As a result, the results of this problem may not always accurately reflect the behavior of particles in complex systems.