Solving for Eigenvalues in a Finite Square Well with Both Walls Finite

In summary, the conversation discusses the eigenvalue solutions for a 1D well with one finite wall and a well with both walls finite. The solutions are given by the equations k cot(kl)=-α and tan(kl)=2αk/(k^2-α^2), respectively. The width of the well is denoted as L and the height as V_0. The conversation also mentions the time independent Schrödinger equation and the attempt at solving for the eigenvalue solutions using boundary conditions and the general solution u(x)=Ce^-αx + De^αx.
chris_avfc

Homework Statement

Already defined that for a 1D well with one finite wall the eigenvalue solutions are given by
k cot(kl) = -α

Show the eigenvalue solutions to well with both walls finite is given by

tan(kl) = 2αk / (k^2 - α^2)

Well is width L (goes from 0 to L) with height V_0

Homework Equations

k cot(kl) = -α

tan(kl) = 2αk / (k^2 - α^2)

Time Independent Schrödinger Equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I will explain briefly as there is a lot of equations and it will look a mess, I can always upload a picture of my work if needs be.

General Solution:
u(x) = Ce^-αx + De^αx

For x < 0
C = 0, so exponential doesn't go to ∞.
For x > L
D = 0 so exponential doesn't go to ∞.

Using boundary conditions where the function and it's derivative must be continuous
With the solution between 0 and L being

u(x) = A sin(kx)

Substituting in L for x

A sin(kL) = Ce^-αL
Ak cos(kL) = -αCe^-αL

Dividing the second by the first

k cot(kL) = -α (As given in question)

This breaks down when substituting in 0 for x.

A sin(k0) = De^α0
Ak cos(k0) = αDe^α0
0 = αD

I thought about changing the coordinates so the well runs from -L/2 to L/2, but that just appears to give

k cot(kL/2) = -α

And

k cot(kl/2) = α

I was/am looking in one textbook, and that manages to get it down to

k tan (kL/2)= α
k cot (kL/2)= -α

Still not what I need, but might be closer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Guess nobody can help then. :(

1. What is a finite square well?

A finite square well is a model used in quantum mechanics to describe the potential energy of a particle confined to a finite region. It consists of a square-shaped potential energy barrier with a finite height and width.

2. What type of particles can be described using the finite square well model?

The finite square well model can be used to describe any type of particle, such as electrons, protons, or atoms, that are confined to a finite region and experience a potential energy barrier.

3. How are the energy levels of a particle in a finite square well determined?

The energy levels of a particle in a finite square well are determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems. The solutions to this equation yield the allowed energy levels of the particle.

4. What is the significance of the depth and width of the potential energy barrier in a finite square well?

The depth and width of the potential energy barrier in a finite square well determine the behavior of the particle within the well. A deeper and narrower well will result in more confined energy levels, while a shallower and wider well will allow for more freedom of movement for the particle.

5. Can the finite square well model be used to describe real-world systems?

While the finite square well model is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of quantum systems, it is an idealized model and cannot fully describe real-world systems. However, it can provide important insights and approximations for real-world situations.