What is the meaning of the v and w columns in a finite state machine example?

In summary, the conversation discussed a finite state machine example in a textbook. The state table for the machine includes the states S0, S1, and S2, as well as input symbols 0 and 1. The confusion was around the v and w columns, as the values seemed to be inconsistent. It was clarified that v represents the next state function and w represents the output function, but the concept was still unclear. The example can be found in the link provided on page 3.
prevail
Okay, I'm having trouble understanding a finite state machine example in my :yuck: book. It's a state table for the machine M = (S, [tex] \ell [/tex], [tex] \wp [/tex], v , [tex] \omega [/tex]) where S = {S0, S1, S2}, [tex] \ell = \omega = [/tex] {0,1}.

Please check out the attachment:smile: What i don't understand is the v and [tex] \omega [/tex] column... Why is row S0; S0 in "0" and S1 in "1", and row S2; 0 in "0" and 1 in "1"?

Is this just made up or something? :tongue2:

Attachments

• finitestatemachine.jpg
    finitestatemachine.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Given a state and an input, isn't v supposed to tell you where to go next? And similarly w tells you what you're supposed to output?

yeah, that's right! In my textbook it says that:

v: S X [tex] \ell [/tex] -> S is the next state function
w: S X [tex] \ell [/tex] -> [tex] \wp [/tex] is the output function.. but i still don't get it :(

Hmm, my attachment is still pending. I've found the same example here :
http://www.cis.uoguelph.ca/~sawada/2910/notes/fsm-1x2.pdf (check out page 3)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Finite State Machine?

A Finite State Machine (FSM) is a mathematical model used to represent and control the behavior of a system. It consists of a finite number of states, transitions between those states, and actions that can be taken in each state.

2. How does a Finite State Machine work?

A Finite State Machine works by transitioning between different states based on input. The current state of the machine determines the next state and any associated actions that should be taken.

3. What are the benefits of using a Finite State Machine?

Finite State Machines can help to simplify complex systems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable states. They are also useful for representing and analyzing different scenarios and decision-making processes.

4. What are some common applications of Finite State Machines?

Finite State Machines have many applications in computer science, including modeling software systems, designing artificial intelligence, and creating programming languages. They are also used in fields such as linguistics, biology, and psychology.

5. Can you provide an example of a Finite State Machine in action?

One example of a Finite State Machine is a vending machine. It has a finite number of states (e.g. idle, accepting money, dispensing product), transitions between those states (e.g. inserting money, making a selection), and actions that can be taken in each state (e.g. dispensing product, returning change).