1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite-state machine problem

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Construct a finite-state machine that changes every other bit, starting with the second bit, of an input string, and leaves the other bits unchanged.

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    Say I have the string 1001101, then I am supposed to make a finite-state machine that turns it into 1100111 (every other bit changed, starting from the 2nd). I know how to change the bits in a machine, what I need help for is how to determine the index of the input, that is how to let the finite-state machine know i.e. that 0 which happens to be the second bit of the string, is in fact the second.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2
    I realized that this problem is quite easy and requires only two states, [tex]s_{0}[/tex] and [tex]s_{1}[/tex], using the first one as initial state. When the machine recieves either 0 or 1 in the initial state, the output function simply returns the same bit as the input as it changes state from [tex]s_{0}[/tex] to [tex]s_{1}[/tex]. From this state the bit changes on its way back to state [tex]s_{0}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook