What is a Finite-State Machine for Changing Every Other Bit in an Input String?

• Thread starter livcon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, to solve this problem, a finite-state machine with two states, s_{0} and s_{1}, can be used. The initial state is s_{0} and the machine changes every other bit, starting with the second bit, while leaving the other bits unchanged. The output function simply returns the same bit as the input while changing states from s_{0} to s_{1} and back to s_{0}.
livcon

Homework Statement

Construct a finite-state machine that changes every other bit, starting with the second bit, of an input string, and leaves the other bits unchanged.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Say I have the string 1001101, then I am supposed to make a finite-state machine that turns it into 1100111 (every other bit changed, starting from the 2nd). I know how to change the bits in a machine, what I need help for is how to determine the index of the input, that is how to let the finite-state machine know i.e. that 0 which happens to be the second bit of the string, is in fact the second.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I realized that this problem is quite easy and requires only two states, [tex]s_{0}[/tex] and [tex]s_{1}[/tex], using the first one as initial state. When the machine receives either 0 or 1 in the initial state, the output function simply returns the same bit as the input as it changes state from [tex]s_{0}[/tex] to [tex]s_{1}[/tex]. From this state the bit changes on its way back to state [tex]s_{0}[/tex].

1. What is a finite-state machine?

A finite-state machine (FSM) is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a system that can exist in a finite number of states. It consists of a set of states, a set of inputs or events, a set of transitions between states, and a set of outputs or actions.

2. What is the purpose of a finite-state machine?

The purpose of a finite-state machine is to model and control the behavior of a system that has a finite number of possible states. It allows for the systematic analysis and design of complex systems, making it a useful tool in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and psychology.

3. What are the main components of a finite-state machine?

The main components of a finite-state machine are states, inputs, transitions, and outputs. States represent the different conditions or modes that a system can be in. Inputs are the events or signals that cause the system to transition from one state to another. Transitions are the rules that define the behavior of the system, and outputs are the actions that are taken when a transition occurs.

4. What are the types of finite-state machines?

There are two main types of finite-state machines: deterministic and non-deterministic. In a deterministic FSM, there is only one possible transition for a given input and current state. In a non-deterministic FSM, there can be multiple possible transitions for a given input and current state, and the machine may choose any one of them.

5. How are finite-state machines useful in problem-solving?

Finite-state machines are useful in problem-solving as they provide a systematic approach to analyzing and designing complex systems. They can be used to model and control the behavior of various real-world systems, such as software applications, electronic circuits, and even human decision-making processes. By breaking down a problem into states, inputs, transitions, and outputs, finite-state machines allow for a structured and logical approach to finding solutions.