1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Temperature matrix

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the Hamiltonian ##H=\begin{bmatrix} 0& \frac{-iw}{2}\\ \frac{iw}{2} & 0 \end{bmatrix}##
    Write the finite temperature density of the matrix ##\rho(T)##

2. Relevant equations
    ##\beta=\frac{1}{kT}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    The initial part of the problem had me find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues. I got ##\lambda=\pm\frac{w}{2}## and eigenvectors ##v_1=(-i, 1)## and ##v_1=(i, 1)##

Not quite sure what to do with it from here. I know that ##\rho=e^{-\beta E_1} | \psi_1 \rangle \langle \psi_1 |+e^{-\beta E_2} | \psi_2 \rangle \langle \psi_2 |##

I think I remember that the eigenvalues are suppose to be ##E_{1,2}##. But I don't know what ##\psi_{1,2}## are suppose to be.

Further, my notes show that once I have the matrix I should have a fraction that looks something like ##\frac{1}{2z}## where ##z## is the sum ##z=e^{-\beta E_1}+e^{-\beta E_2}##

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

[itex] |\psi_1 \rangle [/itex] and [itex] |\psi_2 \rangle [/itex] are normalized eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian. You have the eigenvectors, you just need to normalize them.
    About the factor of [itex] \frac{1}{2z} [/itex], the density operator [itex] \rho [/itex] should have unit trace. But I don't think there should be a factor [itex] \frac 1 2 [/itex] there!

4. Sep 23, 2014 #3
    I got it figured it out. I just couldn't find it in my textbook. Turns out in was in recommended reading I guess. Thanks for the help though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted