How do I calculate the initial alpha for an iterative process in a finite well?

In summary: However, if I use an alpha larger than 4.01643 E09 then the iterations will not converge to the correct answer and I will need to try different values of alpha.In summary, the attenuation coefficient is not easily calculable and using a different alpha leads to incorrect results.
bluestar
I am having a devil of a time trying to successfully perform an iterative process for a particle’s energy in a finite well. The equation describing the energy for a finite well is transcendental thus requiring a graphical or numerical solution. Although, the graphical solution is straight forward I choose to pursue the numeric solution.

The only Internet resource I have been able to find that addresses the subject in specific detail is a page at the hyperphysics site:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/pfbox.html#c1
(Page down about 4 pages to “Numerical Solution for Ground State”

The specific problem is that I am not able to determine how to calculate the initial alpha or ‘attenuation coefficient’ as he calls it. If you wish to tackle my example here are the numbers you can plug into the input boxes and it automatically calculates the rest of the values.

Well Length: .39E-9 m or .39 nm
Electron Mass: 9.1E-31 kg
Infinite well ground state for n=1: .396508E-18 J or 2.474808 eV
Potential Energy U: 1.025393E-17 or 64 eV

The first estimate of the attenuation coefficient is: .401643E11 m
This is the number I can not determine how it is calculated. When I used the formula for alpha provided in the section I do not come anywhere close to his first estimated value.

This next link, at the bottom, provides the energy levels for the first 4 levels of a finite well using the variables described above.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/pbox.html

Pursuing this example may be the easiest way to help; otherwise, if anyone has a good reference on numerical solutions for finite well energies and if it is in an electronic form I would much prefer to study that document and try to solve the problem myself. Otherwise, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

RON

Physics news on Phys.org
bluestar said:
The first estimate of the attenuation coefficient is: .401643E11 m
This is the number I can not determine how it is calculated. When I used the formula for alpha provided in the section I do not come anywhere close to his first estimated value.

When I plug the given numbers into the formula

[tex]\alpha = \sqrt {\frac {2 m (U_0 - E)} {\hbar^2}}[/tex]

I get the indicated value. Make sure you're using consistent units. I used kg for mass, J for energy, and J-sec for Planck's constant. Also make sure you're using [itex]\hbar = h/2\pi[/itex], not plain old [itex]h[/itex].

Many thanks to you, JTBell.

I was using eV for both energy factors. When I used energy in Joules I was accurate to 4 digits and this may be because I only used 3 digits of the Planck constant to calculate Dirac’s Constant. Anyway I am very pleased and greatly relieved to now get it to work. (Wished I has posted this 3 days ago).

This calculation was for the ground state energy and length for n=1 in a finite well. Now I will start looking to calculate the energy and lengths for the next 3 or 4 elevated energy levels. Before I begin trying to figure this out do you know how to determine the next levels? Do I use the n=2 energy level for the infinite well case and then duplicate the steps as we did for the ground state?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
RON

It looks like I might have been premature in thinking the iteration problem had been resolved. When I use the alpha calculated by the internet page .401643 E11 in the formula to calculate the new length I get an incorrect answer. The length is calculated by the following equation and the formula and illustration are on a page up from the Internet calculation sheet.

L-old + 2 / alpha = L-new
Thus,
.39 E-9 + 2 / .401643 E11 = .3904979 E-09 and it should be .439795 E-9

However, if I use the following alpha 4.01643 E09 then I get a correct answer

.39 E-9 + 2 / .401643 E09 = .43979 E-09

So where does the difference of a factor of 2 in the alpha come from?

If I use subsequent alphas to the E09 power then all iterations match the Internet data sheet and converge to a correct number within 3 iterations and with a 3 digit accuracy.

1. What is a Finite Well Iterative Process?

A Finite Well Iterative Process is a numerical method used in computational physics to solve problems involving a finite potential well. It involves dividing the well into a finite number of points and iteratively solving equations to determine the energy levels and wavefunctions of the system.

2. How does the Finite Well Iterative Process work?

The process starts by dividing the potential well into a finite number of points. Then, using the Schrödinger equation and boundary conditions, a matrix equation is constructed and solved iteratively using techniques like the Jacobi method or the Gauss-Seidel method. This process is repeated until the energy levels and wavefunctions converge to a stable solution.

3. What are the advantages of using the Finite Well Iterative Process?

One advantage is that it allows for the calculation of energy levels and wavefunctions for complex potential wells that cannot be solved analytically. It also offers a more accurate solution compared to other numerical methods. Additionally, it can be easily adapted to handle various boundary conditions and potential shapes.

4. Are there any limitations to the Finite Well Iterative Process?

One limitation is that it can be computationally intensive, especially for large systems with a high number of points. It also requires careful selection of the number of points and the convergence criteria to ensure accurate results. Additionally, it may not be suitable for systems with rapidly varying potentials or non-linear systems.

5. In what fields is the Finite Well Iterative Process commonly used?

The Finite Well Iterative Process is commonly used in atomic and molecular physics, quantum mechanics, and solid state physics. It has applications in studying the behavior of electrons in quantum wells, tunneling phenomena, and the electronic structure of molecules and materials.