How can you prove that ab = ba implies ba^(-1) = a^(-1)b in Fintie Groups?

• Thread starter patelnjigar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, to show that whenever ab = ba, you have ba^(-1) = a^(-1)b, you need to do a left and right multiplication on both sides of the equation, using the same quantity, to obtain the result of ab = ba.
patelnjigar
Show that whenever ab = ba, you have ba^(-1) = a^(-1)b.

I don't know how to slove problem.

pls help me..

Physics news on Phys.org
On the equality [tex]ba^{-1}=a^{-1}b[/tex] make a left multiplication and then a right multiplication by [tex]a[/tex] and see what you get.

sorry.. I don't understand.. Please give me clear as that.. thanks.. smile..

You don't know what a left or right multiplication is? It means that you multiply both the members of the equality, by the same quantity, on their left/right side.

For example, a left multiplication by [tex]a[/tex]:

[tex]ba^{-1}=a^{-1}b[/tex] => [tex]a{\cdot}ba^{-1}=a{\cdot}a^{-1}b[/tex]

Now go on and make a right multiplication on the equation we obtained.
Also consider what is the result of [tex]a{\cdot}a^{-1}[/tex] and [tex]a^{-1}{\cdot}a[/tex]

Last edited:
Show that whenever ab = ba, you have ba^(-1) = a^(-1)b.

then you said that

just answers:
For example, a left multiplication by LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment.:

LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment. => LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment.

you mean that I have to make left and right..

make left:
ba^(-1) = a^(-1)b => aba^(-1) = aa^(-1)b

make right:
ba^(-1) = a^(-1)b => ba^(-1)a = a^(-1)ba

then what??

patelnjigar said:
you mean that I have to make left and right..

make left:
ba^(-1) = a^(-1)b => aba^(-1) = aa^(-1)b

make right:
ba^(-1) = a^(-1)b => ba^(-1)a = a^(-1)ba

then what??

No. I mean make left, then, on the result of the left multiplication, make a right multiplication. Let's see what you get.

i m sorry.. I lost and I don't understand what you talk about. Please help for that.

Thread moved from General Math to Homework forums. patelnjigar, you have received some very good help here so far from antonantal. You need to understand that we DO NOT do your homework problems for you. You need to show us more of your work on this problem, and stop trying to get it solved for you. Show us your work.

Last edited:
Come on, you almost did it!

You did a left multiplication by [tex]a[/tex] on

[tex]ba^{-1}=a^{-1}b[/tex] and obtained

[tex]a{\cdot}ba^{-1}=a{\cdot}a^{-1}b[/tex]

Now if you do a right multiplication by [tex]a[/tex] on [tex]a{\cdot}ba^{-1}=a{\cdot}a^{-1}b[/tex] what do you obtain?

Last edited:
ab=ba

a^(-1).ab.a^(-1) = a^(-1).ba.a^(-1)

(a^(-1).a) b^(-1) = a^(-1).b(a.a^(-1))

e.b^(-1) = a^(-1).b.e

b^(-1) = a^(-1).b

is that right?? I hope that I made it...

I can't figure out what is it that you don't understand. Look:
I take [tex]ba^{-1}[/tex] ,I do a left multiplication by [tex]a[/tex] and get [tex]aba^{-1}[/tex] ,then I do a right multiplication by [tex]a[/tex] and get [tex]aba^{-1}a[/tex].

You try it on the other member of the equation, [tex]a^{-1}b[/tex]

ba^(-1) = a^(-1)b

aba^(-1) = aa^(-1)b

aba^(-1)a = aa^(-1)ba

ab = ba

i seem that it done answers.

That's right. It wasn't that hard was it? :smile:

patelnjigar said:
ab=ba

a^(-1).ab.a^(-1) = a^(-1).ba.a^(-1)

(a^(-1).a) b^(-1) = a^(-1).b(a.a^(-1))

e.b^(-1) = a^(-1).b.e

b^(-1) = a^(-1).b

is that right?? I hope that I made it...
You started off correctly but made a typo (bolded) in the second step. Else you would have got the correct answer.

1. What is a Fintie Group?

A Fintie Group is a mathematical concept that refers to a set of elements with a defined operation that satisfies certain properties, such as closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility.

2. What is a Subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a Fintie Group that also satisfies the properties of a Fintie Group. In other words, it is a smaller group within a larger group that shares the same operation and properties.

3. How are Fintie Groups and Subgroups related?

Fintie Groups and Subgroups are related in that Subgroups are subsets of Fintie Groups, and therefore share the same operation and properties. Additionally, Subgroups can be used to study and understand the properties and behavior of the larger Fintie Group.

4. What is the significance of studying Fintie Groups and Subgroups?

Studying Fintie Groups and Subgroups is significant in mathematics because they have many real-world applications, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. They also provide a powerful tool for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems.

5. How are Fintie Groups and Subgroups used in practical applications?

Fintie Groups and Subgroups are used in practical applications, such as in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt data, in coding theory to detect and correct errors in data transmission, and in computer science to design efficient algorithms and data structures.