Fire & Ambient IR: Is there a Difference?

• Thread starter aruna1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire Ir
In summary, the conversation discusses the different wavelengths emitted by ambient infrared and infrared in candle fire. The person is trying to make a flame detector and is wondering if there is a difference in wavelengths. One person suggests looking at wavelengths around 1-2 um, while another mentions that all materials emit all wavelengths but there is a characteristic peak that depends on temperature. The peak wavelength for a candle flame is estimated to be around 1-4 um. The conversation ends with a thank you to both individuals.
aruna1
hello
can someone tell me are ambient IR and IR in candle fire has different wave lengths?
I'm trying to make a flame detector,so if there is different wave lengths i can use a filter circuit to filter only fire's IR signal.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your best bet is to look at wavelengths around 1-2 um. According to Incropera and DeWitt's Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer there's very little emission under 2 um for bodies at 300 K.

Mapes said:
I think your best bet is to look at wavelengths around 1-2 um. According to Incropera and DeWitt's Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer there's very little emission under 2 um for bodies at 300 K.

well sir does candel fire emits IR around 1-2um? I'm not familier with physics laws you mentioned.

All materials emit all wavelengths, but there's a characteristic peak that's a function of temperature alone. For room temperature objects, it looks like the peak is around 10 um. For a candle flame, 1-4 um.

aruna1 said:
well sir does candel fire emits IR around 1-2um? I'm not familier with physics laws you mentioned.
Yes, with a typical candle color temperature of about 2000k, by my calculations 2um should be reasonably close to the peak wavelength emitted.

Mapes said:
All materials emit all wavelengths, but there's a characteristic peak that's a function of temperature alone. For room temperature objects, it looks like the peak is around 10 um. For a candle flame, 1-4 um.

uart said:
Yes, with a typical candle color temperature of about 2000k, by my calculations 2um should be reasonably close to the peak wavelength emitted.

thankyou very much both of you sirs:smile:

1. What is the difference between fire and ambient infrared radiation?

The main difference between fire and ambient infrared radiation is their source. Fire infrared radiation is emitted from a high-temperature source such as a flame or hot object, while ambient infrared radiation is emitted from the surrounding environment.

2. Is one type of infrared radiation more dangerous than the other?

Both fire and ambient infrared radiation can be dangerous in high levels, but fire infrared radiation tends to be more intense and concentrated. Exposure to high levels of fire infrared radiation can cause burns and damage to the skin, while prolonged exposure to ambient infrared radiation can lead to eye damage.

3. Can infrared cameras detect both fire and ambient IR?

Yes, infrared cameras are able to detect both fire and ambient infrared radiation. However, they may require different settings and filters to accurately capture and measure each type of radiation.

4. How does the detection of fire and ambient IR differ in thermal imaging?

In thermal imaging, fire infrared radiation appears as bright spots or hot spots, while ambient infrared radiation appears more evenly distributed. This is because fire infrared radiation is emitted from a concentrated source, while ambient infrared radiation is emitted from the surrounding environment.

5. Are there different safety precautions for working with fire and ambient IR?

Yes, different safety precautions may need to be taken when working with fire and ambient infrared radiation. When working with fire infrared radiation, it is important to wear protective gear and avoid direct exposure to the source. When working with ambient infrared radiation, it is important to limit exposure and use appropriate shielding or barriers to protect against prolonged exposure.