Fire and liquid Oxygen.

• Thread starter flatmaster
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Earlier, I had posted that I thought that I had made liquid oxygen. People seemed skeptical that it would work, but I did an experiment to prove the concept.

On a ring stand, I had some burning paper towel. I put some liquid nitrogen in a pie tin and allowed atmosphere to condense on the outside. Allowing this cold liquid to fall on the burning paper produced small spurts of burning paper. It was a bit difficult to keep the cold nitrogen vapors from blowing out the fire, but if the pie tin was held high enough, this was not an issue.

I know this isn't any ground-breaking science, but it sure was fun!! Should I write a paper?

Answers and Replies

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi flatmaster. What you saw was slightly concentrated oxygen. Oxygen condenses preferentially on the liquid nitrogen pan you had, producing an oxygen rich liquid because oxygen condenses at a slightly higher temperature.

That's what I figured. It seems quite amazing that the cold nitrogen that's in there doesn't blow out the flame when it expands. I suppose the next step is to collect some and measure the relative concentrations. How can I do that?

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Measuring oxygen concentration is much easier & less expensive than measuring nitrogen. See what's available to measure O2 concentration. Perhaps you could collect the drops off the pan by sucking them into an evacuated container.