1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fire and liquid Oxygen.

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    Earlier, I had posted that I thought that I had made liquid oxygen. People seemed skeptical that it would work, but I did an experiment to prove the concept.

On a ring stand, I had some burning paper towel. I put some liquid nitrogen in a pie tin and allowed atmosphere to condense on the outside. Allowing this cold liquid to fall on the burning paper produced small spurts of burning paper. It was a bit difficult to keep the cold nitrogen vapors from blowing out the fire, but if the pie tin was held high enough, this was not an issue.

I know this isn't any ground-breaking science, but it sure was fun!! Should I write a paper?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi flatmaster. What you saw was slightly concentrated oxygen. Oxygen condenses preferentially on the liquid nitrogen pan you had, producing an oxygen rich liquid because oxygen condenses at a slightly higher temperature.

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    That's what I figured. It seems quite amazing that the cold nitrogen that's in there doesn't blow out the flame when it expands. I suppose the next step is to collect some and measure the relative concentrations. How can I do that?

5. Mar 28, 2010 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Measuring oxygen concentration is much easier & less expensive than measuring nitrogen. See what's available to measure O2 concentration. Perhaps you could collect the drops off the pan by sucking them into an evacuated container.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook