1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fire by Friction

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1
    How can one approximate the distance that one would have to move two sticks in order to start a fire at room temperature. With a given coefficient of friction and mass for the wood as well as the amount of force that someone can apply to the wood and the flashpoint of the wood.

W = mc(flashpoint - room temp)
    (not sure what mass to use because heat will not spread out over the full mass of both sticks immediately...)

Force of friction = Force applied x coefficient of friction -->
    W = Force applied x coefficient of friction x displacement

Force applied x coefficient of friction x displacement = mc(flashpoint - room temp)

So can I find displacement required like that?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the right idea. I would use total mass of the wood and assume the heat spreads through them immediately, even though it wouldn't. Sometimes, a scientist's best skill is being able to make simplifying assumptions.:smile:

Anyway, I agree with how you are going about this. What do you get as an answer?
  4. Jan 2, 2008 #3
    Well if that sounds sane to someone else then I am going to try this for a paper on a topic of my choice, so I will get some of my data tomorrow (like masses and coefficient of kinetic friction by experimentation tomorrow and will look up specific heat and flash point and pick a convenient applied force) then I'll calculate a theoretical displacement and then try the experiment and see if its reasonably close, so I'll post some data then for verification.
  5. Jan 3, 2008 #4
    Never mind, I changed my topic...too many problems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?