Fire in Low Gravity: Visualizing a Biodome Blaze

In summary, in a low gravity environment like a space station with a light gravitational hold equivalent to the moon or Mars, fires would appear soft and rounded but still climb upward gently. It would resemble a scaled-up version of a candle flame. However, due to the reduced convection system, fires would not burn as actively and may have a different burn pattern, with a slower burn and potential for a completely burned out center. Wildfires would not occur in a low gravity environment.
jaidanwolf
Hi there, I've seen videos and simulations of fire in zero or microgravity, but I'm trying to get a mental picture of how fire would look / burn in LOW gravity. Say a space station that rotates in order to create a light gravitational hold equivalent to the moon or even Mars...if a fire was ravaging a biodome within that station, what would the fire itself look and move like? I assume it wouldn't behave the same as a burning house on Earth would, but since there is SOME gravity, it also won't just be the contained blue fire bubble you see in zero or microgravity. I'm trying to imagine something in between but any thoughts to help me visualize such a scenario would be appreciated!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I imagine it would soft and rounded but still climbing upward, though gently. Imagine the shape and behavior of the flame of candle, but scale it up. Better yet, ever seen what happens when you let a match burn so it has multiple peaks?

Picture this, but scaled up.

I am only guessing, BTW, I know no better than you.

Matches_stretch-2.jpg

Thanks for the thought. Guessing is more than welcome! I'm definitely able to picture it on a smaller scale, like the candles, but I'm having a lot of trouble picturing what a whole house or even village burning in low gravity would look like. Like you said, it would probably be rounded and not billowing quite the way it does here. You see zero gravity fire in movies all the time except it is totally unrealistic...they just make it look like a normal fire but surrounded by little balls of flame drifting around (like water does) and that is, while pretty to see from an effects standpoint, not remotely accurate. Obviously, a low gravity rather than zero gravity environment would be a bit of a cross betwee the two. But since I've only seen single candles or matches in zero gravity, trying to get a mental image of a wildfire in moon or Mars gravity is proving difficult!

jaidanwolf said:
... trying to get a mental image of a wildfire in moon or Mars gravity is proving difficult!
There's a reason for that.

In low gravity, a dramatically reduced convection system means a dramatically reduced inflow of oxygen. This means that fires just do not burn anywhere near as actively in a low-G environment.

You simply won't have wildfires.Sure, a field of grass would burn, but slowly, and I expect you'd see a very different burn pattern, for example, the centre might be completely burned out. You might get a ring of slow-burn around the perimeter, with just coals in the centre region.

Last edited:

Attachments

• video.jpg
    video.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 521

1. What is the purpose of studying fire in low gravity?

The purpose of studying fire in low gravity is to better understand how fires behave in different environments, which can have applications for space exploration and potential colonization of other planets.

2. How does fire behave differently in low gravity compared to Earth's gravity?

In low gravity, fire burns more slowly and with a different shape due to the lack of convection currents caused by air rising and falling. The flame may also be more elongated and less stable, making it more difficult to control.

3. What is a biodome and why was it chosen as the location for this study?

A biodome is a self-sufficient, closed ecosystem that mimics natural environments. It was chosen as the location for this study because it provides a controlled environment to observe and study fire in low gravity without the interference of wind or other external factors.

4. What are the potential risks and benefits of fire in a biodome?

The potential risks of fire in a biodome include damage to the structure and harm to any living organisms inside. However, studying fire in a biodome can also provide valuable insights on fire behavior in closed environments and how to prevent and control fires in such environments.

5. What are some potential applications of the findings from this study?

The findings from this study can have applications for space travel and potentially colonizing other planets, where fires may occur in low gravity environments. It can also inform fire safety and prevention measures in closed environments such as submarines, space stations, and underground habitats.