Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fireball over Canada

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

An extremely bright meteor fireball was seen over Edmonton a few nights ago. It was caught on a police dashboard camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=bFwCrsYzDKo&feature=related
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2008-11-23-meteor-canada_N.htm

Very cool.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3
    very interesting

5. Nov 23, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I got a pretty good look at it....It was amazing!.......I've never seen a tool kit explode like that before!:bugeye:

6. Nov 24, 2008 #5

LURCH

Science Advisor

Have any fragments been found?

7. Nov 24, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was impressive. I saw what I thought was quite a large one about a week ago. It glowed green but it certainly didn't light the place up.

8. Nov 24, 2008 #7

Borek

That's the one I have mentioned during chat.

9. Nov 24, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guessed :biggrin:

10. Nov 24, 2008 #9
    In Madrid, Spain, three years ago I saw one of this when I was driving to home with some friends in the night. It was shocking, I never thougt I could see one of them during my live

11. Nov 24, 2008 #10

Borek

I have seen something similar somewhere in mid-nineties over north Poland, but it wasn't completely dark yet and meteor was far and high, so not that bright.

12. Nov 24, 2008 #11

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

It would certainly seem that there would be an impact point given the illumination all the way to the ground.

13. Nov 24, 2008 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Philosphically - if a rock falls in central Saskatchewan does anyone care?

14. Nov 24, 2008 #13

TFM

Depends on the size of the rock that lands...:biggrin:

Most impressive, must have made quite a dent where it landed. Any idea how big it mnust have been - must be quite large to get so bright and survive the journey through thge atmosphere?

TFM

15. Nov 24, 2008 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not an expert but I think they can appear brighter if they break up into pieces but stay on the same course. Your eye registers the size * brightness of a cluster of unresolved points.

16. Nov 26, 2008 #15

LURCH

Science Advisor

Just saw a news update and the still haven't foudn any fragments. They are asking owners of local service stations, and other places that have serveilance cameras, to keep there tapes. They hope to use the different angles to triangulate a probable location for the debris field. Add to that the fact that th erock appeared to be flaming on the way down, and there was some snow on the ground that night (which would leave large indentations), they should be able to find some bits pretty quick. There will certainly be pelnty of people searching; those frags can be worth a lot of money.

17. Nov 27, 2008 #16
  18. Dec 4, 2008 #17

LURCH

Science Advisor

Just saw it on the news a couple days ago (my 'puter crashed and I just got back online today); they have found the debris field and retieved several frags already.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?