What could be causing slow browsing in Firefox 8.0.1 and how can it be improved?

• Thread starter rahulkhajuria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary, Firefox 8.0.1 is not running as well on the home computer as it does on the office computer. It takes between 10 seconds to 2 minutes for pages or links on pages to load, and a link on a page will not open even after waiting for 5 minutes. However, if the home computer is in Windows Safe Mode or Windows Safe Mode with Networking, Firefox loads everything very, very fast. The plugins enabled on the 2 computers are: Adobe Acrobat 10.1.1.33, Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.290.11, Java (TM) Platform SE 6.0.290.11, Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.3250, Shockwave Flash 11
rahulkhajuria
I recently downloaded & installed Firefox 8.0.1 on 2 Windows XP Pro Sp3 p.c.s - One in my Office & the other at home . It seems to be running great on the Office p.c. (This one has Norton 360 installed on it & fewer Start-up Programs ) . However , on the home p.c. , (which has Avast (Free) & Comodo Firewall (Free) installed plus quite a few Programs that get loaded on Start-up) , it takes anywhere between 10 seconds to about 2 minutes for pages or links on pages to load . Sometimes , a link on a page will not open even after waiting for 5 minutes . Even , the
Linkscanner of Avast doesn't seem to be running correctly in Firefox .

I uninstalled firefox 8.0.1 with Revo uninstaller & then reinstalled it , but still the same thing happens .
Next , I tried running firefox after disabling Avast &
Comodo Firewall (both together) but still the same thing . Even , after running Firefox in Mozilla Safe mode the same thing happens .

However , If I start the Home P.C. in Windows Safe Mode or Windows Safe Mode with Networking , firefox loads everything very, very fast , almost instantaneously .

The plugins enabled on the 2 p.c.s are :-

Office p.c :-
1 .Adobe Acrobat 10.1.1.33
2. Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.290.11
3. Java (TM) Platform SE 6.0.290.11
4. Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.3250
5. Shockwave Flash 11.1.102.55
6. Shockwave for Director 11.6.3.633
7. Windows Media Player
Plugin Dynamic Link Library 3.0.2.628

Home p.c. :-

1 . Adobe Acrobat 10.1.1.33
2. Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.290.11
3. Java (TM) Platform SE 6.0.290.11
4. Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.4503
5. Shockwave Flash 11.0.1.152
6. Shockwave for Director Not installed
7. Windows Media Player
Plugin Dynamic Link Library 3.0.2.629

However , I don't think the problem is significantly linked to Firerox plugins because even after disabling all of them on the home p.c. , firefox runs in the same slow way & pages or links take a bit of a time to open .

I haven't seen whether the same thing happens if I use firefox 3.6.xx . However , I would be mentally more comfortable if I could troubleshoot & use the latest version of Firefox . (I always prefer using latest versions for all software ) .

And , since I am on the topic , apart from wanting to know the solution for the above question , I'd also like to know how to make my Firefox MOST EFFECTIVE & how to use it to browse seamlessly , troublelessly & with the best possible speed & ease on the Internet .(Basically , how to streamline it into an invincible & flawless browsing MONSTER !)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Honestly then I would try to roll back to FF7. FF8 just added more features without much performance gain.

1. Why is Firefox 8.0.1 browsing slowly?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a large number of open tabs, low computer memory, or outdated browser extensions. It could also be caused by a slow internet connection or a problem with the Firefox 8.0.1 software itself.

2. How can I improve the browsing speed of Firefox 8.0.1?

There are a few things you can try to improve the browsing speed of Firefox 8.0.1. You can start by closing any unnecessary tabs and ensuring that your computer has enough memory to run the browser smoothly. You can also try disabling any unused browser extensions and clearing your browser's cache. If the issue persists, you may need to update your browser or contact technical support for further assistance.

3. Is my internet connection the cause of the slow browsing?

It is possible that a slow internet connection could be the cause of slow browsing in Firefox 8.0.1. You can check your internet speed by running a speed test on a different browser or device. If the results show a slow connection, you may need to contact your internet service provider for assistance.

4. Can I use a different version of Firefox to improve browsing speed?

While using a different version of Firefox may improve browsing speed, it is not recommended to use an outdated version of the browser. Older versions may have security vulnerabilities and may not support certain websites or features. It is best to update to the latest version of Firefox or try troubleshooting the issue with the current version.

5. Will deleting my browsing history speed up Firefox 8.0.1?

Deleting your browsing history may slightly improve the browsing speed of Firefox 8.0.1, as it removes temporary files and cookies that can slow down the browser. However, it may not significantly impact the speed, and you may need to try other troubleshooting steps to improve the performance of the browser.