Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Firefox / autoscroll

1. Jan 9, 2005 #1
    Does autoscroll work for you in Firefox 1.0?

My HP laptop has a synaptics touchpad with an extra little autoscroll window next to it. Autoscroll works fine in IE and other applications. In Firefox all it does is put a little autoscroll icon on the screen instead of the cursor, but it doesn't scroll at all unless I grab the scrollbar. (The arrow keys work OK.)

Yes, I have autoscroll enabled in tools/options/advanced.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2005 #2
    I use autoscroll on my firefox 1.0 and it works. But I am on a desktop. And when it is not enabled the middle mouse scroll does not work at all, in firefox.

4. Jan 9, 2005 #3
    It turned out to be a problem with firefox and the synaptics drivers. It seems my original driver was too old, & then I upgraded to one that was too new. I just found one (ver. 7.8.10) that's "just right". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, almost. Vertical autoscroll works fine. Horizontal autoscroll works in other applications but it still doesn't work in firefox. I found that there's already a bugzilla on that, so I guess eventually the firefox people will work it out.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  5. Jan 9, 2005 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Forget about horizontal scrolling, just make your resolution 1600x1200

6. Jan 9, 2005 #5
    Hah, hah.
    My laptop screen can't handle 1600x1200 & if it did I'd need a magnifying glass to read it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?