1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Firefox / autoscroll

1. Jan 9, 2005 #1
    Does autoscroll work for you in Firefox 1.0?

My HP laptop has a synaptics touchpad with an extra little autoscroll window next to it. Autoscroll works fine in IE and other applications. In Firefox all it does is put a little autoscroll icon on the screen instead of the cursor, but it doesn't scroll at all unless I grab the scrollbar. (The arrow keys work OK.)

Yes, I have autoscroll enabled in tools/options/advanced.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2005 #2
    I use autoscroll on my firefox 1.0 and it works. But I am on a desktop. And when it is not enabled the middle mouse scroll does not work at all, in firefox.

4. Jan 9, 2005 #3
    It turned out to be a problem with firefox and the synaptics drivers. It seems my original driver was too old, & then I upgraded to one that was too new. I just found one (ver. 7.8.10) that's "just right". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, almost. Vertical autoscroll works fine. Horizontal autoscroll works in other applications but it still doesn't work in firefox. I found that there's already a bugzilla on that, so I guess eventually the firefox people will work it out.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  5. Jan 9, 2005 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Forget about horizontal scrolling, just make your resolution 1600x1200

6. Jan 9, 2005 #5
    Hah, hah.
    My laptop screen can't handle 1600x1200 & if it did I'd need a magnifying glass to read it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?