Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Firefox overtakes IE at PF

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    For the first time, Firefox has overtaken Internet Explorer at PF. I'm looking at a 30 day range from Jan 25th to Feb 25th. Firefox is at 39%, IE 38%, Chrome at 11% and Safari 8%. Very interesting! Tides have turned!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2
    Interesting that Chrome is at 11% considering how recently it was first released in relation to other browsers.

4. Feb 25, 2010 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Average PF visiotr is not a Joe I. E. Average.

5. Feb 25, 2010 #4
    Firefox owns. Drinks are on me:tongue2:

6. Feb 25, 2010 #5
    Do the statistics change if you remove (say for instance) the 10% most active members ? I'm worried that this statistics reflects the 10% of members doing the 90% of the activity :smile:

</nitpicking>

7. Feb 25, 2010 #6
    The stats track total visitors. Members make up less than 1% of forum visits.

8. Feb 25, 2010 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I find that more surprising than Firefox surpassing IE.

9. Feb 25, 2010 #8

Evo

Anyway to track stats of just the members?

10. Feb 25, 2010 #9
    Yeah, I'll set the tracking code inside a conditional.

11. Feb 25, 2010 #10

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Computer illiterate questions.

1) How can you tell? :surprised

2) What else do you know about us? :eek:

3) I did migrate from IE to Firefox. I know it is better from the point of view of security. As user experience it seems to me hardly different from IE, maybe I do not do all that many kinds of thing. OTOH I am now trying out GoogleChrome and that is noticeably different. My impression is it is quite a bit nicer in absolute. But not so much in practice as, unlike my memory of my IE -> FF migration, a lot of stuff does not very easily transfer from my lived-in FF setup. It took quite some effort to export/import the toolbar, the favourites/bookmarks - actually someone had to do it for me but found difficult. There are a lot of things I haven't sorted out yet, spellcheck language, or in the favourites, I have a lot, now in FF if I want to go to PF in favourites I press P and it goes to P and PF is one of a few there. But in GC I have to scroll down the favourites which is not so nice. A lot of little inconveniences like that and I'm not sure I want to spend time and maybe annoyance tailoring it for me.

But any other opinions of interest.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  12. Feb 25, 2010 #11
    I use Google Analytics

You're wearing a red sweater, drinking apple tea and thinking about your taxes. :D

13. Feb 25, 2010 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I hate firefox. It's too bulky.

14. Feb 25, 2010 #13
    Lemme guess. You use Lynx? :biggrin:

15. Feb 25, 2010 #14
    If you don't stop playing with yourself, your elbow will never get better.

Clue: search for "WalMart Urinalysis" joke.

16. Feb 26, 2010 #15

Borek

Greg uses Google Analytics, but all these information can be found in server logs. For example (this is from my server):

Code (Text):
    75-43-23-27.lightspeed.austtx.sbcglobal.net - - [21/Feb/2010:00:54:49 +0100] "GET /chembuddy/?left=concentration&right=percentage-to-molarity HTTP/1.1" 200 8637 "https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=118805" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100202 Firefox/3.5.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)"

First part - thats from where the person was, austtx obviously means Austin, Texas, IP locator gives more precise address of Pflugerville (this is not the original IP, I have modified it a little bit, but it still points to the same city). Then comes time/date. Then - what page the person tried to see. 200 means everything went OK, 8637 is number of bytes sent in answer. Next part - the person came to see my page following link from physicsforums thread. Finally - it was someone using Firefox on (most likely) Windows Seven.

Note that it is only an example and it is not all information that is exchanged between computers during HTTP session and can be logged, it can be also formatted differently.

17. Feb 26, 2010 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You apparently attract a special crowd here, on the lab website that I administer we get 50.2% IE, 25.2% Firefox, 17.8% Safari, 3% Opera, 2% Chrome and 1.4% Mozilla. I do think it is worth a party though :smile:

18. May 30, 2010 #17
    firefox is good and fast in browsing
    l like it

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook