Getting Shockwave & Flash Plugins to Work in Firefox on XP

In summary, the conversation is about a person's experience with Firefox and their struggle to get the shockwave or flash player plugins to work. They have tried using the plugin finder service and manually downloading the plugins, but have had no luck. Suggestions are given, such as trying a download link and asking for help on a forum. The conversation also mentions the benefits of using Linux and a recommended plugin for Firefox.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
I am pretty new to Firefox, but I am pretty much hooked. I do have one issue...I can't seem to get the shockwave or flash player plugins to work with it. I try using the plugin finder service, but it just hangs up. I have manually DL'd it and works fine on my IE, but still nothing with Firefox. Any suggestions? I'm using XP. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
click where it says "Install Missing Plugins"

gah, windows users...you don't know the beauty of Linux...things like "sudo apt-get update" or "sudo apt-get install plugins firefox -f" or (even better) "sudo apt-get upgrade firefox -f"

Have you tried getting them from here?

https://pfs.mozilla.org/plugins/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
mattmns said:
Have you tried getting them from here?

https://pfs.mozilla.org/plugins/ [Broken]
I'll give that a try. Like I said, I DL'd direct from the flash/shockwave website, and I know IE sees the plug in but for some reason Firefox doesn't.

I'll give it a go. Thanks again.

Mattmns,
I tried your download link and that seemed to do it for Flash player. Shockwave, during the install, says it sees Firefox, but it still doesn't seem to work. I'm half of the way there. Thanks for the help.

Hmm. Maybe you should try posting on the forums.mozillazine.org as someone there may have had a similar problem, or know of a solution.

1. Why are Shockwave and Flash plugins not working in Firefox on my XP computer?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, including outdated plugins, conflicting settings, or compatibility issues. It is important to troubleshoot the issue to determine the exact cause.

2. How do I update my Shockwave and Flash plugins?

You can update your plugins by going to the official Adobe website and downloading the latest versions of Shockwave and Flash. Make sure to also uninstall any previous versions before installing the updates.

3. I have updated my plugins, but they still don't work. What should I do?

Try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, and then restarting Firefox. If that doesn't work, you may need to disable any conflicting add-ons or extensions that could be interfering with the plugins.

4. Is it possible to use Shockwave and Flash on XP with newer versions of Firefox?

While it is possible, it is not recommended as XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and may have security vulnerabilities. It is recommended to upgrade to a newer operating system for better compatibility and security.

5. Can I use alternative browsers to run Shockwave and Flash on XP?

Yes, there are alternative browsers such as Opera and Pale Moon that still support XP and have built-in support for Shockwave and Flash. However, these browsers may also have security risks and it is still recommended to upgrade your operating system.