Firefox Remote Exploit: Highly Critical URL Domain Name Buffer Overflow

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary: If you haven't disabled IDN yet, you'll need to install it before installing the patch.Firefox URL Domain Name Buffer Overflow Vulnerability.Critical. Firefox users who have enabled IDN may be at risk. Mozilla is releasing a patch soon to disable IDN for good.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Firefox URL Domain Name Buffer Overflow

Rating: Highly Critical

http://secunia.com/advisories/16764/

See if your vulnerable by clicking the the following link (Note: Firefox might crash) :

http://www.security-protocols.com/firefox-death.html

Depending on your Firefox setup this may or may not effect you. This did not affect me (Gentoo Linux, FF 1.06 compiled with fstack-protector-all).

Solution:

1) In the url bar go to about:config
2) Click on network.enableIDN to set to false

[edit] Mozilla has been planning to disable IDN for some time now since it is a broken standard. The patch Mozilla will be releasing shortly will disable IDN for good. You can actually go to Mozilla's Bugzilla and download the xpi patch.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=195467

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its kinda weird it tries to download a file from NOAA's website

and the line in that file says

Matt Foster - SHV 1.2e

What are you talking about? The patch? The patch comes straight from bugzilla.mozilla.org.

dduardo said:
Solution:

1) In the url bar go to about:config
2) Click on network.enableIDN to set to false[/url]
And how do I set it to false?

Monique said:
And how do I set it to false?

Does that mean you're using Firefox now?

Just double click it and it should be set to false.

Thanks for the heads up Dduardo. I had to change it.

hypnagogue said:
Does that mean you're using Firefox now?
*Shhhhhhhht!*

Actually, I found a skin that solved some critical problems I had.

Just double click it and it should be set to false.
Right, next time I should just go to sleep at 3 am.

dduardo said:
See if your vulnerable by clicking the the following link (Note: Firefox might crash) :

http://www.security-protocols.com/firefox-death.html

I use Firefox 1.0.6 on winXPsp2 and network.enableIDN to set to true, but the link does not crash Firefox it just gives me an empty page.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Firefox Remote Exploit?

A Firefox Remote Exploit is a type of security vulnerability found in the Firefox web browser. It allows attackers to remotely access and potentially exploit a user's computer by exploiting a buffer overflow in the browser's URL domain name handling code.

2. What is a buffer overflow?

A buffer overflow occurs when a program tries to store more data in a buffer (a temporary storage area) than it was designed to hold. This can cause the program to crash or, in the case of a security vulnerability, allow attackers to execute malicious code.

3. How does the Firefox Remote Exploit work?

The exploit works by sending a specially-crafted URL to the browser, causing it to try to store more data in the buffer than it can handle. This overflows the buffer and allows the attacker to overwrite parts of the program's memory, potentially leading to remote code execution.

4. How serious is the Firefox Remote Exploit?

The exploit has been classified as "Highly Critical" by security experts, meaning it has the potential to cause serious harm to a user's computer. It is important to update to the latest version of Firefox or apply any available security patches to protect against this vulnerability.

5. What can I do to protect myself against the Firefox Remote Exploit?

The best way to protect yourself is to keep your Firefox browser up to date and apply any security patches as soon as they are released. It is also important to be cautious when clicking on links from unknown sources, as they could potentially contain the exploit. Additionally, using antivirus software and regularly scanning your computer for malware can help protect against this and other types of exploits.

Back