Firefox won't display the PF page until I change magnification

In summary: I suggest you try this:I suggest you try this:In summary, Firefox 59 intermittently displays only part of content on a page if i click menu bar and change magnification up or down one setting, ie from 100% to 90 or 110, it finishes but if change back to initial magnification it disappears again. On windows 7, old Jimdoesn't seem to happen with Chrome (yet), but about 80% of the time on Firefox. Hate to switch, got to find 20 passwords...
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Firefox 59
intermittently displays only part of content on a page
if i click menu bar and change magnification up or down one setting, ie from 100% to 90 or 110 it finishes
but if change back to initial magnification it disappears again

windows 7
firefox 59.0.1

anybody else seen that ?

old jim

Computer science news on Phys.org
doesn't seem to happen with Chrome (yet) .

but about 80% of the time on Firefox. Hate to switch got to find probably twenty passwords...

Last edited:
Does it still happen if you maximize the window with PF in it?

berkeman said:
Does it still happen if you maximize the window with PF in it?

maximize... with this ?
upload_2018-3-19_13-1-41.png
yes, it doesn't change missing content.

change the % magnification here and immediately fills the blanks...
upload_2018-3-19_13-4-45.png

heres an example
upload_2018-3-19_13-7-17.png

same part of screen after changing magnification from 119 to 100.
Makes no difference what is magnification when load page, takes a change either direction to make it fill.
upload_2018-3-19_13-8-54.png

curious, eh ?

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-19_13-1-41.png
    upload_2018-3-19_13-1-41.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 664
  • upload_2018-3-19_13-4-45.png
    upload_2018-3-19_13-4-45.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 589
  • upload_2018-3-19_13-7-17.png
    upload_2018-3-19_13-7-17.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 608
  • upload_2018-3-19_13-8-54.png
    upload_2018-3-19_13-8-54.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 570
I am not 100% sure if this will help...

press alt to open up the "old style toolbar"
go to view, go to zoom, ensure "text only" is unchecked.

If you want to see what it does, check and uncheck it and zoom in and out.

donpacino said:
I am not 100% sure if this will help...

press alt to open up the "old style toolbar"
go to view, go to zoom, ensure "text only" is unchecked.

If you want to see what it does, check and uncheck it and zoom in and out.
That's really curious. Found it unchecked.
Changing status of 'zoom text only' has same effect as changing magnification. Seems indifferent to whether it's checked or unchecked, missing text appears at random.and changing status of Zoom Text Only toggles whether the page is complete.

I'll leave it unchecked.

Thanks !

Sounds to me like a corrupted browser. You might think about re-installing it.

Uninstall and reinstall. I'm not sure if it'll save all of your cookies and passwords during that procedure though :/ Have you tried simply updating firefox first? It's possible that Windows updated and broke something. Click on your Start Button and type "Windows Update." You'll get a window that'll show you the last time Windows updated itself, does that date correspond to the time this started happening?

newjerseyrunner said:
Uninstall and reinstall. I'm not sure if it'll save all of your cookies and passwords during that procedure though :/ Have you tried simply updating firefox first?
My concern exactly, got to find all those passwords , bookmarks, and so on.

It seems to have started after a recent Firefox update.

If i have to drop that 'tail ' of history I've built up I'll just switch to Chrome. Google is going to take over the planet anyway,

I'll give Firefox a while longer. Surely I'm not the only one.

42, y'all, see my signature... .

old jim

jim hardy said:
My concern exactly, got to find all those passwords , bookmarks, and so on.
im sure you can export those for later

There was quite recently a series of posts about FF updates but I don't remember what thread they were in. Anyhow, I recently updated from v18 to v43 and all bookmarks were carried over. However crossing thru v52(?) could be problematic as Mozilla did a major rewrite and a _lot_ of stuff won't work. The Mozilla site at least used to have most or all older versions available so developers could download them to test compatibility. You have to dig a bit to find them though. That's probably your best bet -- and remember to turn off automatic updates! Regardless of the program, they seem to be the major source of problems. Let others do the "New Release" debugging.

search - search -search
Ahh! Found the thread, FF conversation is somewhat interspersed, here's a place to start:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-to-reach-the-site.941296/page-4#post-5957970

Likes jim hardy and donpacino
Going back sounds great. Will give it a try.
couldn't find a success path to 'go back'
so tried "REFRESH FIREFOX" to no avail.

Found Chrome quite willing to import bookmarls, passwords, history...
scary that it's that easy to find and read them... that's why i won't enable online banking .

Anyhow Chrome is now my default browser and " ain't misbehavin' ".. Might uninstall firefox., like Windows it's dying from update poisoning.
Thanks guys - old jim

Likes Greg Bernhardt
jim hardy said:
like Windows it's dying from update poisoning.
:thumbup:

jim hardy said:
My concern exactly, got to find all those passwords
Jim, I've found a fix for this. I just use the word "incorrect" for my password on everything. That way if I forget it and type the wrong thing, the site will remind me what it is.

Likes Imager, jim hardy and david2
phinds said:
I just use the word "incorrect" for my password on everything.
Hmm... do you use it here too?

Just tried it. Apparently not!

Tom.G said:
Hmm... do you use it here too?

Just tried it. Apparently not!
You need to work on your sense of humor.

Likes Tom.G
I suggest using a password manager. Remember 1 hard to crack password.
Then let the machine choose crazy long and impossible to remember passwords.

This way you remove 2 problems. Remembing passwords and having weak passwords.

1. Why won't Firefox display the PF page until I change magnification?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that your browser settings may be causing the page to load improperly. Another possibility is that there may be a compatibility issue between Firefox and the website's code. It could also be due to a slow internet connection or a problem with the website's server.

2. How can I fix this issue?

If it is a browser settings issue, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or resetting your browser settings to default. If it is a compatibility issue, you can try using a different browser or updating to the latest version of Firefox. If the problem persists, you may need to contact the website's technical support team for assistance.

3. Why does changing magnification seem to fix the issue?

Changing the magnification can sometimes force the page to reload, which can help resolve any loading issues. It may also be related to the website's responsiveness, where the page layout adjusts based on the screen size, and changing the magnification can trigger this adjustment.

4. Is there a specific magnification that works best for this issue?

There is no specific magnification that works best for this issue. It may vary depending on the website and your screen resolution. You may need to experiment with different magnifications to find one that works best for you.

5. Can I prevent this issue from happening in the future?

There is no foolproof way to prevent this issue from happening, as it may be caused by various factors. However, keeping your browser and operating system up-to-date, clearing your browser's cache regularly, and using a stable internet connection can help reduce the chances of experiencing this issue.