Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fireproof fabrics?

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    Without going into to many details, I'm in need of a lightweight material that can act as a flame shield. Said material needs to be lightweight because the application is for a handheld device. I'm looking at a couple square feet of material. It will need to withstand a direct propane flame (my guess is 700-800 degF, haven't done temperature measurements on this burner) for upwards of a half hour at a time. Is there any sort of fabric that can withstand that sort of situation. I imagine even though kevlar is fire resistant, it will start to break down after significant duration. Is there any sort of metal-strand fabric that might work for my application. Or is my best bet going to be just to stick with a solid metal plate?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2
    Kevlar does degrade fast when exposed to heat for long periods of time. Your best and cheapest bet is just to use a nice thick metal plate.

4. Aug 31, 2012 #3
    A big metal plate would be nice, but this is going to be a portable application, so weight is a consideration. I was hoping to find something a bit lighter than a thick metal plate.

5. Aug 31, 2012 #4
    ceramic

6. Aug 31, 2012 #5
    Any suggestions as to what might be a good ceramic that's not too brittle and reasonably easy to machine? The application of this thing is actually in a agriculture believe it or not, so there's a decent chance it'll get used and abused so I'd like to avoid fragility if possible.

7. Aug 31, 2012 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What exactly is the application where this fabric has to put up with direct flame for half an hour? And why does it have to be portable?

8. Aug 31, 2012 #7
    I suppose I just should have explained this to begin with. The project relates to propane weed flaming. See http://cropwatch.unl.edu/web/cropwatch/archive?articleID=4963643 [Broken] for some background info. We are trying to take the shrink tractor mounted rigs you see in the pictures down to a single row handheld unit. In the picture on the top left of that page, you can see flame hoods hanging on the back. The purpose of those is to keep the heat close to the ground to provide more effective treatment. They're basically big steel plates, which is just fine if you have a tractor. But we need something you can carry around. The plates wouldn't need to be as large because our torch is also smaller, but weight is still a major consideration.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Aug 31, 2012 #8

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well based on what you're saying it sounds like you're going to need something like this, assuming the flame temperature of 2600*F in your link:

http://www.hightemperaturefabric.com/silica-high-temperature-heat-flame-fire-resistant-fabric.html
    Or this:

http://www.hightemperaturefabric.co...erature-heat-flame-fire-resistant-fabric.html

10. Sep 1, 2012 #9
    Wow, those options look quite promising. Thanks for the suggestions. Still open to other ideas if anyone has any.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook