Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Firewalls for Macs

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, as we were discussing cable vs. DSL internet, it occurred to me I should ask this question over here in software. What firewall software would folks recommend for a Mac running OS X (10.3.9, but I might want to upgrade to Tiger within the next year, so something that will work with my current OS but won't become obsolete when I upgrade is preferable...if that is an issue with any)? I would set up my internet to connect through airport, again, if that matters. I don't currently have anything since I just use dial-up, but I know if I'm going to be always connected, I need some form of firewall protection.

I'd especially appreciate recommendations of specific software, but otherwise, even information about what I should look for in firewall software would be helpful since I really don't know what I should be looking for and what all the different terminology means in terms of types of encryption, etc., and how to know what's relevant for my purposes, which is basically just to keep someone else from gaining access to my computer and using it for nefarious purposes.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

4. Aug 9, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks! I didn't even know I already had one. That's sure a lot easier than having to buy something new. :smile:

5. Aug 10, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Frankly, for a pc on a home lan (airport is a home router, right?), you don't need a software firewall. The way a home router works acts as a nearly impenetrable firewall already. Just make sure you turn on wep encryption.

6. Aug 10, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Airport is the wireless networking thing for macs. I know when I first set it up, it had 3 different types of encryption/password choices. When I move to a townhouse, I'll be changing whatever my current settings are to something that requires a login every time I use it so I don't end up with neighbors using my wireless. Right now that's not an issue because I have my airport set up so I do get signal out on my deck but it's pretty weak anyplace else outside my house, so I don't worry about what anyone can or cannot access. Okay, so WEP encryption it will be. I wonder if that's the one I picked randomly. Something I chose when setting it up required a 16 character password instead of the usual 8 character ones, and I'm not sure I remember what it was (I guess I don't choose easy to guess passwords since I can't even guess them sometimes...I can't count the number of times I've had to have passwords reset because I lose track of what I use.)

Unless the software firewall is going to slow things down or do something that will annoy me constantly, it probably won't hurt to turn it on.

7. Aug 10, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

It doesn't hurt to have it and will be transparent to you since packets are monitored at the kernel level.

8. Aug 10, 2005 #7

russ_watters

Generally, its just a password stored in your networking settings - so you don't enter it every time you connect.
    WEP comes in 64 or 128bit (8 or 16 characters). Some routers/computers use a password and the software generates the key, others require you to enter the entire hexidecimal key manually.

9. Aug 10, 2005 #8

russ_watters

Granted. I try to keep my computers lean and mean, though.

10. Aug 10, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I might already have it set up that way then. It was so long ago that I set it up that I don't remember what I did at the time. (Do I sound like the ditzy blonde today or what? :rolleyes:)

I'm going to take a wild guess that it's something software generated since I haven't seen anything anywhere to indicate to me there's a key somewhere I'd need to enter manually (I wouldn't even know where to find it to enter it)...so I'll hope that's the case.

11. Aug 10, 2005 #10

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I tried wireless once but the performance wasn't up to snuff and ended up wiring the house with cat6 ethernet. I did have fun using one of my neighbors network for a short while.

12. Aug 10, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I only notice a difference between wireless and being wired if I start wandering too far from the base station where the signal gets weak, but I have to really try hard to do that (basically when I first got it, I wandered all over the house to see how far I could get signal and how it affected performance as I was choosing a location for the airport). I haven't had any trouble with it. I've known people with other types of wireless who have to keep resetting it, get interference (my one friend had issues between the wireless and a baby monitor...I think it was that the wireless made the baby monitor buzz constantly or something really annoying like that), or have problems with the connection dropping. Mostly I got it because I love sitting out on my deck in the spring and summer, and it was easier than running a phone line out my window, which is what I was previously doing. Plus, to me it defeats the purpose of having a laptop if I have to be tethered to a wall to connect to the internet.

Yeah, I know more than a few people who have used their neighbors' networks until their neighbors figured out they should put a password on their system, which is why I'm asking all these questions.

13. Aug 12, 2005 #12
    Most of the time that's true. For awhile I had my software firewall off because it would interfere with my home network. However it doesn't block say email/web viruses or programs already on your computer conneting to the outside. That's why I got zone alarm. It's the only firewall that tells me what is attempting to connect externally. For mac's however I don't think there's a problem with programs installing without permission.

14. Aug 12, 2005 #13

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Even with NAT, pre SP2 windows xp would still be vunerable to sasser and other remote exploitable worms. It really depends on how sophisciated the router's firewall is. Look for stateful packet inspection when purchasing a router.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?