Fireworksdamaging our atmosphere?

• Thread starter ConcealedDreamer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atmosphere
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential damaging effects of chemicals released into the atmosphere, particularly from activities such as wildfires and deforestation. The topic also touches on the recreational use of explosives and firearms, and whether or not they contribute to pollution. The participants express differing opinions on the potential impact of these activities on the environment.
ConcealedDreamer
Is there any damaging effect or chemical that gets released into our atmosphere? I know wildfire and deforestation is a problem, but what else?
Also, sorry if I post on wrong place, I was stuck in between Chemistry, and Biology. =/

Physics news on Phys.org
ConcealedDreamer said:
Is there any damaging effect or chemical that gets released into our atmosphere? I know wildfire and deforestation is a problem, but what else?
Also, sorry if I post on wrong place, I was stuck in between Chemistry, and Biology. =/

Probably but not enough to be at all noticable. Kinda like peeing in a river i suppose

if it does, that doesn't mean that i will quit, i love things that go boom. like last night, a few friends and i shot roman candles at targets, and blew holes in the ground with m-80s. also, we shot ak-47s into the air, the semi-automatic lame but legal type. what a way to celebrate the 4th of july, celebrate like terrorists do!
yes, playing with things that can killl you can be very fun!

fibonacci

1 said:
if it does, that doesn't mean that i will quit, i love things that go boom. like last night, a few friends and i shot roman candles at targets, and blew holes in the ground with m-80s. also, we shot ak-47s into the air, the semi-automatic lame but legal type. what a way to celebrate the 4th of july, celebrate like terrorists do!
yes, playing with things that can killl you can be very fun!

Yes, celebrate your country by blowing a part of it up. :tongue2: :uhh:

Last edited:
isn't that all that americans do? blow things up?

yomamma said:
isn't that all that americans do? blow things up?

No. We shoot people too.

Just on the way into work this morning, I killed two people and blew up three cars.

I'm going to have to sit out and watch firefly flickering patterns again tonight. I was noticing last night they seemed to be flickering at a rate that seemed really rapid to me, almost keeping time with the flickering of the fireworks as they sizzled out (my neighborhood sounded like a war zone last night with fireworks being set off in every direction! No little firecrackers either; I just checked that none of them were being set off within range of my property and then sat back to watch :tongue2:). But, I was also seeing fireflies in pairs, so they may have been flickering in a different pattern for mating. Just wondering if the poor things were confused and trying to communicate with fireworks. :biggrin: So, I want to watch them again tonight and see if it looks the same as last night or not.

Wait wait, back on topic, so does it hurt our atmosphere or not? Haha.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say yes, they damage the atmosphere... BUT to a much smaller degree than any of the other thousands of sources of pollution.

I'd bet dollars to donuts (and I love donuts) that a single moderate sized forest fire spews more into the air than all of the fireworks lit off anually.

1 said:
we shot ak-47s into the air, the semi-automatic lame but legal type

Well, who cares if the gun is legal or not, what you did IS a felony
:smile:

1. How do fireworks affect the ozone layer?

Fireworks release chemicals such as sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides, which can react with ozone in the atmosphere and deplete it. This can lead to increased levels of ultraviolet radiation reaching the Earth's surface.

2. Do fireworks release greenhouse gases?

Yes, fireworks contain carbon-based compounds that release carbon dioxide when burned. However, the amount of greenhouse gases emitted from fireworks is relatively small compared to other sources such as transportation and industry.

3. Can fireworks contribute to air pollution?

Yes, fireworks can contribute to air pollution by releasing particles and chemicals into the atmosphere. These can include heavy metals, carbon monoxide, and sulfur dioxide, which can have negative effects on air quality and human health.

4. How long do fireworks pollutants stay in the atmosphere?

The duration of fireworks pollutants in the atmosphere depends on various factors such as weather conditions, wind patterns, and the type of fireworks used. Some pollutants may only stay in the atmosphere for a few hours, while others can persist for days or even weeks.

5. Can fireworks impact climate change?

It is unlikely that fireworks have a significant impact on climate change. While they do release greenhouse gases and contribute to air pollution, their overall contribution is relatively small compared to other human activities. However, the use of fireworks can contribute to localized air quality issues and pose a health risk to individuals with respiratory conditions.