Understanding Derivatives: Exploring the First and Second Derivative

In summary, a first derivative is a mathematical concept in calculus that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the original function. A second derivative represents the rate of change of the first derivative at a specific point and is calculated as the derivative of the first derivative. These derivatives have various applications in real-world scenarios, such as analyzing graphs and predicting the behavior of systems over time.
jaredjjj
How would someone answer derivative question
Q3c.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Have I answered this question correctly.
Q3c.JPG

91987401_605497343717583_4253347632677650432_n.jpg

I'd start by determining $h'(x)$ and $h''(x)$ in terms of $f(x)$, $g(x)$, and their respective 1st and 2nd derivatives.

Your reasoning looks sound to me. (Yes)

skeeter said:
I'd start by determining $h'(x)$ and $h''(x)$ in terms of $f(x)$, $g(x)$, and their respective 1st and 2nd derivatives.
is this correct?
91987401_605497343717583_4253347632677650432_n.jpg

ok

I merged the two threads on the same problem, and I have no iea why the posts weren't sorted correctly in chronological order.

1. What is the first derivative?

The first derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is also known as the slope or gradient of the function at that point.

2. How is the first derivative calculated?

The first derivative is calculated by taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. In simpler terms, it is the change in the function divided by the change in the independent variable as the change approaches zero.

3. What is the significance of the first derivative?

The first derivative is significant because it can tell us about the behavior of a function at a specific point. A positive first derivative indicates a function is increasing, while a negative first derivative indicates a function is decreasing. A first derivative of zero indicates a critical point or a point of inflection.

4. What is the second derivative?

The second derivative is the derivative of the first derivative. It represents the rate of change of the first derivative at a specific point and is also known as the concavity or curvature of a function at that point.

5. How is the second derivative used in calculus?

The second derivative is used to analyze the behavior of a function. A positive second derivative indicates a function is concave up, while a negative second derivative indicates a function is concave down. The second derivative test is also used to determine the nature of critical points and points of inflection.