1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First and second derivatives

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    This problem is fairly straightforward. I have a function and domain:
    [tex]f(x)=2ln(x^{2}+3)-x -3\leqx\leq5[/tex]
    The question eventually asks for the inflection points, which I know occur when f''(x) is zero or undefined.
    I found the first derivative and second derivative to be, respectively:
    I have double checked my math and can't seem to find anything wrong with it.
    Also, I have looked at a calculator and it shows that the original function does have two inflection points, but when I try to set f"(x) to zero or to be undefined (devide by zero), I always end up with an impossible solution. I don't beleive that this involves irrational numbers, so I appreciate any help at all.:confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your second derivative is wrong.

You have

With [itex]f'(x)= (4x)(x^2+3)^{-1}- 1[/itex] the second derivative is
    [tex]4(x^2+ 3)^{-1}- (4x)(x^2+ 3)^{-2}(2x)= 4(x^2+ 3)^{-1}- 8x^2(x^2+3)^{-2}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{4(x^2+ 3)}{(x^2+ 3)^{-2}}- \frac{8x^2}{(x^2+ 3)^{-2}}= \frac{-8x^2+ 3}{(x^2+ 3)^{-2}}[/tex]
    The second derivative always exists but there are two places where it is 0.
  4. Nov 2, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much, I see it now.
    I figured it was something in the calculation of the first to second, I just couldn't see it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?