1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First attempt at a proof

1. Dec 15, 2005 #1
    hey everyone,
    I recently bought the the Dover Series book on Number Theory, and the 2nd example on page 5 asks your to prove
    [tex]1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 ... + n^3 = (1 + 2 + 3....)^2 [/tex]

Now, we've already proved that [tex]S_n = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

So here's how I proved it...
    [tex]
    (S_n)^2 = (\frac{n(n+1)}{2})^2 [/tex]

before we proved how [tex] S_k+1 = S_k + (k + 1) [/tex]

Which lead me to...
    [tex] \frac{1}(k+1)^2((k+1)+1)^2{4} + (k+1)^2 [/tex]
    [tex] = \sqrt{\frac{(k+1)^2((k+1)+1)^2}{4} + (k+1)^2} [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{(k+1)((k+1)+1)}{2} + (k+1) [/tex]
    therefor...
    [tex] S_k+1 = Sk + (k+1) [/tex]

Now I'm worried that I didnt really solve anything. I'm totally knew at this, and I'm open to criticism and help, just be kind :)
    (ps.. this is my first time posting formulas, hopefully I did it right)

Thanks
    dleacock

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2005 #2
    just a repost to clean up the math...

[tex] \frac{1}{4}(k+1)^2((k+1)+1)^2 + (k+1)^2 [/tex]

[tex] = \sqrt{\frac{(k+1)^2((k+1)+1)^2}{4} + (k+1)^2} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{(k+1)((k+1)+1)}{2} + (k+1) [/tex]

4. Dec 15, 2005 #3
    I don't own the book, but I looked at the pages on amazon, and it looks like you want to prove it using mathematical induction. This usually works in this way.

Proof:
    Base Step (here, it will be n = 1)

Inductive Step Assume it is true for some k, and then show that it is true for k+1.
    QED.

Now you don't have to use induction, but it is what I think they want you to use. So first you should prove that the statement is true for n = 1, or k = 1. Meaning that if you plug 1 into the formula you will get the same thing, which is true.
    [tex]1^3 = (1)^2[/tex]
    [tex]=> 1 = 1[/tex]

So then do the inductive hypothesis.

You would say that the statement is true for some k, then show that it is true for k + 1.

This would mean that you would want to show that:

[tex]1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 ... + k^3 + (k+1)^3 = (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + k + (k+1) )^2 [/tex]
    Using the fact that the statement is true for k.

Meaning, prove the previous statement with the fact that: [tex]1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 ... + k^3 = (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + k)^2 [/tex]

--------

I am not sure what you were doing here. But you can't just take the square root of something out of nowhere, also [tex]\sqrt{ a^2 + b^2 } \neq a + b[/tex] except in a few cases, so that is not allowed.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  5. Dec 15, 2005 #4
    yeah, thats exactly what I thouhgt the problem was. I just squared it out of nowhere. oh well, back to work I go. thanks for the response and the tip!

6. Dec 16, 2005 #5
    In other words show, [tex]k^{2}(k+1)^{2} - k^{2}(k-1)^{2} = 4k^{3}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?