October Fun: Halloween Parties, Apple Cider & Pumpkins

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary: Indeed :smile: and those living near the equator don't have summer or winter, just wet and dry seasons, in England we call January through to January the wet seasonIn summary, Woo hoo! What are you guys going to do? Does anybody host Halloween parties? I remember when I used to drink apple cider, walk on the dead leaves, and look at pumpkins in October around five years ago. :approve: Ahh.
Mk
Woo hoo! What are you guys going to do? Does anybody host Halloween parties? I remember when I used to drink apple cider, walk on the dead leaves, and look at pumpkins in October around five years ago. :approve: Ahh.

Yeah right before it got really cold. :devil:

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a good day to aerate and over seed my lawn...The leaves are just starting to change here so it will be a while until we can walk on them.

I've went to my parents last weekend and collected about 20kgs of apples. The trees were pruned last year so the fruit yield this year has been immense.

I spent yesterday making apple wine and cider. The cider is fermenting horrendously quickly now, a bubble every second or so, so I've taken it to the garage. I haven't looked at the wine must yet but didn't put any extra sugar in so it should be fine.

Mmmmmmmm!

Mk said:
Does anybody host Halloween parties?
You're jumping the gun there. Halloween comes at the end of October. :biggrin:

However, we do not do anything special.

Also, in the S. Hemisphere, it is getting warmer, since it is spring time and Summer is on its way.

Shouldn't OCTober be the eitgth month of the year?

My birthday is in 12 days... Umm, hmm

scott1 said:
Shouldn't OCTober be the eitgth month of the year?
it is in the Roman calendar

It is my favorit month of the year, right now I'm up visiting friends in Michigans thumb area. Its just beautiful here. Went to a cider mill today and a nice little boat trip to a protected island{native american soil}.
Almost too much moon to see the stars well tonight, tho its still much more then I can see in the city. Heading back to the camper to bunk down soon, so I can get up early to walk the beaches!

Talk about timing. Eastern box turtles are supposed to hatch in October. Well, this morning we found two in our back yard - newly hatched and headed for cover. I posted a linked picture in the Gardening thread.

yomamma said:
it is in the Roman calendar

Or it was until Julius and Augustus Caesar had months named after them.

The summer can't be over yet! :cry:

J77 said:
The summer can't be over yet! :cry:
It isn't! It hasn't even started yet - south of the equator. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
It isn't! It hasn't even started yet - south of the equator. :biggrin:

Indeed :smile: and those living near the equator don't have summer or winter, just wet and dry seasons, in England we call January through to January the wet season :smile:

1. What are some fun Halloween party ideas?

Some fun Halloween party ideas include hosting a costume contest, carving pumpkins, playing spooky games, and watching scary movies.

2. How do I make apple cider?

To make apple cider, you will need apples, water, sugar, and spices. Slice the apples and place them in a pot with water and sugar. Add cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg to taste. Bring to a boil, then let it simmer for about an hour. Strain the mixture and serve hot or chilled.

3. What are some creative ways to use pumpkins?

Aside from carving them, pumpkins can be used in many creative ways. You can make pumpkin puree for baking, roast pumpkin seeds for a healthy snack, or use pumpkins as serving bowls for dips or soups. You can also paint or decorate pumpkins for a festive touch.

4. How can I celebrate Halloween while social distancing?

There are many ways to celebrate Halloween while social distancing. You can have a virtual costume party with your friends, decorate your home and yard with spooky decorations, or have a movie night with your household. You can also organize a drive-thru trick-or-treating event for your neighborhood.

5. What are some traditional Halloween activities?

Traditional Halloween activities include trick-or-treating, dressing up in costumes, bobbing for apples, and telling spooky stories. Other popular activities include visiting haunted houses, attending Halloween parades, and attending costume parties.