First Derivative? 1st physics calculus class-help

In summary, a first derivative is a mathematical concept in calculus that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It can be found using various rules and has many applications in science and engineering. Graphically, it represents the slope of the tangent line and is related to the second derivative, which provides additional information about the behavior of a function.
NanoTech
the position of a particle on the x-axis is given:
x = 7.8 + 9.2t -2.1t^3

what is the velocity at t = 3.5 s ?

so i need to find the derivative of d/dt (7.8 + 9.2t -2.1t^3)

i'm completely lost on how to find it. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up at the formula its simple plug in pro

d/dt(constatnt)=0
and
[tex]\frac{dx^n}{dt}=nx^{n-1}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

Thanks. That was really easy now that I see the correct formula. Differentiation by exponent.

1. What is a first derivative?

A first derivative, also known as the derivative or differential coefficient, is a mathematical concept in calculus that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. How do I find the first derivative of a function?

To find the first derivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the form of the function. These rules involve taking the derivative of each term in the function and combining them using algebraic operations.

3. What is the significance of the first derivative?

The first derivative has many applications in science and engineering, as it represents the instantaneous rate of change of a physical quantity. It can be used to find maximum and minimum values, acceleration, and other important properties of a function.

4. How do I interpret the first derivative graphically?

The first derivative can be interpreted graphically as the slope of the tangent line at each point on the graph of a function. A positive first derivative indicates a function is increasing, while a negative first derivative indicates a function is decreasing. A first derivative of zero indicates a point of inflection or a horizontal tangent line.

5. What is the relationship between the first derivative and the second derivative?

The second derivative is the derivative of the first derivative. It represents the rate of change of the first derivative, which is the rate of change of the original function. The second derivative can provide additional information about the behavior of a function, such as the concavity and points of inflection.