1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First derivative of KE

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    I had a question on the first derivative of Kinetic Energy.....This a problem from the FE exam....

Now the solution is = mva.....which turns out to be power.....im just trying to understand how they came up with that....

so KE = 1/2 mv^2

im asuming they are using the general power rule so v^2 would be 2v dv/dt where dv/dt is acceleration......

the m is where im confused....the derivative of m would just be 1....but why not dm/dt as well...obviously it wouldnt make sense because the mass wouldnt change with time....but i guess im rusty on the power rule....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

m is a constant, v is the only thing changing with time, that's why you differentiate the v2 with respect to t

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3
    perfect!....that makes sense....I thought it was something to do with mass not changing....but i forgot i was taking the derivative with respect ot time...

thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook