First derivative test help

In summary, the curve y = x^2√(1 − x^2) for x ≥ 0 and its maximum point M. Find the coordinates of M (x coordinates) ^ --> means power.dy/dx is zero at stationary point, so i make use of the chain rule and simplify to get x^3=2x. We can't tell you where your error is until you tell us how you got this! Your error is somewhere in that calculation.so x^2=2 and x=square root of 2. but unfortunately the answer in the marking scheme is square root 2/3. How is
jinx007
The curve y = x^2√(1 − x^2) for x ≥ 0 and its maximum point M. Find the coordinates of M (x coordinates) ^ --> means power

dy/dx is zero at stationary point

so i make use of the chain rule

and after simplification i get my answer as

x^3 = 2 x

so x^2 = 2 and x = square root of 2

but unfortunately the answer in the marking scheme
is square root 2/3

How is it so, please help me, where is the error...!

Physics news on Phys.org

jinx007 said:
The curve y = x^2√(1 − x^2) for x ≥ 0 and its maximum point M. Find the coordinates of M (x coordinates) ^ --> means power

[tex]y = x^2sqrt{(1-x^2)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = x^2\frac{-2x}{2\sqrt{(1-x^2)}} + \sqrt{(1-x^2)}2x = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-x^3}{\sqrt{(1-x^2)}} + \sqrt{(1-x^2)}2x = 0[/tex]

Now simplify.

jinx007 said:

so i make use of the chain rule

and after simplification i get my answer as

x^3 = 2 x
We can't tell you where your error is until you tell us how you got this! Your error is somewhere in that calculation.

so x^2 = 2 and x = square root of 2

but unfortunately the answer in the marking scheme
is square root 2/3

rl.bhat said:
[tex]y = x^2sqrt{(1-x^2)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = x^2\frac{-2x}{2\sqrt{(1-x^2)}} + \sqrt{(1-x^2)}2x = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-x^3}{\sqrt{(1-x^2)}} + \sqrt{(1-x^2)}2x = 0[/tex]

Now simplify.

There is a mistake cause I get

[tex]y = x^2\sqrt{(1-x^2)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-3\cdot x^3-2 \cdot x}{\sqrt{(1-x)} \cdot \sqrt{(1+x)}}[/tex]

and then use the "First derivative test" shown here

http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/extrema/

to find the maximum point of the function

Last edited:

Susanne217 said:

[tex]y = x^2\sqrt{(1-x^2)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-3\cdot x^3-2 \cdot x}{\sqrt{(1-x)} \cdot \sqrt{(1+x)}}[/tex]

and then use the "First derivative test" shown here

http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/extrema/

to find the maximum point of the function

What you have is wrong. Show us what you did and we'll steer you in the right direction. The key here is to notice that you need to use the product rule.

Last edited:

Mentallic said:
What you have is wrong. Show us what you did and we'll steer you in the right direction. The key here is to notice that you need to use the product rule.

Dude according to Wolfram integrator my result is correct..

Susanne217 said:

Susanne217 said:
Dude according to Wolfram integrator my result is correct..

So you didn't actually calculate the derivative yourself? Because with my understanding of derivatives, what rl.bhat got is correct and what you have is not what he has... calculator or not...

Mentallic said:
So you didn't actually calculate the derivative yourself? Because with my understanding of derivatives, what rl.bhat got is correct and what you have is not what he has... calculator or not...

I did calculate it and get the result above !

Then post what you did so I can point at where you've gone wrong.

Mentallic said:
Then post what you did so I can point at where you've gone wrong.

you got me pappa :redface:

after retrying the calculation I get

[tex]f'(x) = 2x\cdot \sqrt{(1-x^2)} + x^2 \cdot \frac{-2x}{2\cdot \sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

but still the first derivative test is the way to go to find the maximum of f..

There you go :smile:

Mentallic said:
There you go :smile:

hey its so strange, i got the answer that is square root 2/3..

I make use of the dy/dx = v du - u dv / v^2

so i put x^2 / (1-x^2)^-1/2 and i solve...woOo so puzzling.. anyway thanks to all who helped me..!

It's not puzzling at all that you apply a different rule of differentiation to solve the same function! If it were different, there are obvious flaws in our "rules".

It works for anything you like, say we wanted to differentiate x2, well we use the obvious rule to turn it into 2x, but say we instead used the quotient rule on [tex]\frac{1}{x^{-2}}[/tex] then you would find the same answer, even though more work is required :smile:

But be wary, while it may not seem like the same answer at first sight, they are still equivalent so you would need to simplify/re-arrange in order to show they're equal.

You could also have done that as
[tex]y= x^2(1- x^2)^{1/2}[/tex]
with the chain rule and product rule.

Another way that works is

[tex] y^2=x^4-x^6 [/tex]

[tex] 2yy' = 4x^3-6x^5 [/tex]

[tex] y' = \frac{4x^3-6x^5}{2\sqrt{x^4-x^6}} [/tex]

of course y'=0 implies

[tex] 4x^3-6x^5 = 0 [/tex]

[tex]x = \sqrt{2}/3 [/tex] works

What is the first derivative test?

The first derivative test is a mathematical method used to determine the relative extrema (maximum and minimum points) of a function. It involves finding the critical points, where the derivative of the function is equal to zero or undefined, and analyzing the sign of the derivative on either side of these points.

Why is the first derivative test important?

The first derivative test is important because it allows us to find and classify the critical points of a function, which can provide valuable information about its behavior. This can help in understanding the overall shape of a function, as well as in solving optimization problems.

How do you perform the first derivative test?

To perform the first derivative test, you need to follow these steps:

1. Find the critical points of the function by setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for x.
  2. Make a sign chart for the derivative, indicating the intervals where it is positive or negative.
  3. Plug in a test value from each interval into the derivative to determine the sign.
  4. Use the signs to determine the behavior of the function at each critical point.

What are the possible outcomes of the first derivative test?

The possible outcomes of the first derivative test are:

• If the derivative changes sign from positive to negative at a critical point, the point is a relative maximum.
  • If the derivative changes sign from negative to positive at a critical point, the point is a relative minimum.
  • If the derivative does not change sign at a critical point, the point is a saddle point.
  • If the derivative is zero at all critical points, the test is inconclusive and other methods may be needed.

Can the first derivative test be used for all types of functions?

No, the first derivative test can only be used for differentiable functions, meaning that they have a defined derivative at every point. It also only applies to functions in one variable, so it cannot be used for multivariable functions.