Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First flight toda

1. May 24, 2007 #1
    I just went for my first flight today. I took off at KGAI, did some turns, flew the approach pattern a few times, and then the instructor did the final leg of the landing. Not bad for the first time, but it was almost EXACTLY like flying microsoft flight simulator.

Shes the bird I rented out today. Probably will go back out in her tomorrow. Its about as easy as driving a car. The only thing hard to me is talking on the radios. Oh, and knowing where you are on the map is hard too. Were about 20 min out from camp david which is a no-fly zone. (Just outside the ADIZ). Fly there by mistake and they revoke your licence.
    Last edited: May 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool!!! How long until you solo?

A number of pilots have told me that the simulators are great for practice. This being true, it seems that I can land a 747 on a runway for private aircraft... less the building at the end of the runway. :biggrin:
  4. May 24, 2007 #3
    Dont know, it was my first time up. I still have to get my class 3 medical. Because Im in the DC area, we have to file flight plans every time. I cant solo until I get the medical.

If anyone thinks about flying, be sure to buy block time. It reduced the price from $110/hr for a cessna 172 to $98/hr. I bought the entire package, so I saved $480 bucks (because its 40 hours of flight time). Thats almost 5 hours of flight time you save (and will need later on).

Its going to be hard because Im taking a summer course (Aerodynamics I), and working at school. So I will be in school from 8-6. Then I have ground school from 7-9 on T/Tr or M/W. So flying is going to have to be strictly on the weekends (weather permitting).
  5. May 24, 2007 #4
    You just have to know how to use Microsoft Flight Simulator. I used to use it A LOT. I had an actual flight map of the DC area (because the radio freqs in flight simulator are the real ones). I also printed out a checklist, and read a Jepsen flight maneuvers manual, FAA written exam book, and FAA flight training handbook, in highschool and first year of college. I wanted to learn, but had no money. So it should be fairly easy to pass the writen exam and the checkride.

If you read some books, and use the simulator properly, it can literally be "as real as it gets." Make sure you turn on the real time dynamic weather, otherwise it wont be bumpy up there like it should be. Also, turn on the air traffic and do visual scans as your flying for other traffic. (I also use a headset\flight yoke [not a joystick!] when flying on the computer, it does sound different and make a difference).

The only thing the flight sim is not good for is talking on the radio. But for everything else, its pretty damm close.
  6. May 24, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I was travelling a lot, the WWII combat flight simulator helped me keep my sanity... well, sort of...:biggrin: I esp enjoy trying carrier landings.

But this is very cool Cyrus. I knew that you were a plane buff but didn't realize that you were getting serious about it.
  7. May 24, 2007 #6
    cyrusabdollahi, I'm jealous you're starting ground school! I'm the same as you; I used Flight Simulator a LOT in middle school and high school and I did some flights in a Cessna 152 and one in a 2002 model Cessna 172 (such a great airplane).

However, I don't have the money to start actual flight school, hence my jealousy.

Is the airport you train at untowered?
  8. May 24, 2007 #7
    It's a unicom airport (123.075).

Tomorrow I have 2 hours reserved on her:

Shes not easy on the eyes, thats for sure.
  9. May 24, 2007 #8
    Once again, I'm VERY jealous. I think I'm going to rob a bank so I can do flight school. My airport is also UNICOM so it's pretty lax on radio transmissions.

I'd use the 152 simply because it's cheaper, but the 172's we have include the nice GPS console. I wish we had a 172 with the new Garmin glass cockpit, but that'd be expensive as hell.

Keep us updated on flight school and take more pictures!

Has your instructor induced a stall yet, for fun?
  10. May 24, 2007 #9
    For now, Im flying the 172. I also want to fly the 172SP at least once, which is all glass.

Im going to fly a 182 for at least 3 hours so I can get rated on a high performance airplane, since its 200+ Hp.

A few of the 172's have GPS. The one I was in had it, but it was an older crapy one. I dont want to become reliant on a GPS though. Not for learning VFR.

Do you have Microsoft Flight Simulator X, z-component?
  11. May 24, 2007 #10
    I only have the free demo. Unfortunately, I made a decision to customize my laptop with only the best integrated GPU out there, so it has 3D capability but nothing great for games. The demo's nice, but I can't get the most out of it, of course. I do own FS98, 2000, 2002, and 2004. I find it hard to enjoy the actual flying aspect of FS after having flown for real, but I do value it for the instrument training.
  12. May 24, 2007 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Cyrus, you bastard!! I wanna fly!!
  13. May 24, 2007 #12
    You REALLY should get FSX. It has m-player features. So I could fly with you in the same airplane. You'd be the pilot, id be the co-pilot (and really be in the right seat). We could fly together through an IP session. Since I have a headset and mic, I could talk to you as we fly.
  14. May 24, 2007 #13

Staff: Mentor

Do the flight simulators require you to compensate for the precession effect in climbs, etc? Do you have the foot pedal assembly for your PC? We got the foot pedals and steering wheel thing for our PC a long time ago, but never ended hooking it up yet. I've heard that learning to compensate for the precession effect is one of the more fundamental things in lerning to fly a single prop plane -- is it?
  15. May 24, 2007 #14
    It is important when the power is high or you are in a steep climb. But during normal banks its not so bad. Just a dab of rudder is all you need. Its pretty easy to do, you just keep the ball centered in the slip indicator.

I dont have the foot pedals (unfortunately). The simulators do have that yaw tendency if you set it to fully realistic. If you have a good PC 3+GHZ, and you can spare to buy a really really good video card, turn up the settings to full on FSX and you will be amazed. Its impressive. I need to get a video card, so I have every setting turned down so I get 20FPS. I know some people have nearly 100FPS with full settings on, but that takes some hard core processing power (But WORTH it).
  16. May 24, 2007 #15
    That is so awesome Cyrus! I would love to learn to fly one day! Keep the pictures and stories coming!
  17. May 24, 2007 #16
    Once I get my powered licence I wanna get a glider licence. Those look more fun actually. You can do loops and rolls and stall spins in gliders. Things you wouldnt wanna do in a powered airplane like a cessna.
  18. May 24, 2007 #17
    I could, but my computer wouldn't be able to run the graphics fully up, and my framerates would suck. That's why I want that powerful PC you're referring to.
  19. May 24, 2007 #18
    Sweet Cyrus, that looks awesome!
  20. May 24, 2007 #19
    Well, my PC specs are:

2.79Ghz w/Hyper Threading
    1GB Ram

Whats making it slow is my baseline video card. I think if I put a good video card in there I could get really good performance....I think. I dont see why your laptop would be slow if you upgraded the video card?
  21. May 24, 2007 #20
    I can't upgrade the card. 1) It's integrated with the motherboard, and 2) I believe HP solders the cards in place to prevent that. That's why it was crucial to customize it right the first time, but I was on a budget so I had to skip the good video card.

Otherwise, I have 2 GHz AMD Turion 64-bit processor, 1 GB RAM. Video card is a 128 MB ATI Mobility RADEON Xpress 200M.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?