First Grade Math: Unconventional Solutions?

• Thread starter TheOldHag
  • Start date
In summary, your daughter got the question wrong because she didn't draw circles in squares in one instance and sticks in another instance. This is why America lags behind the rest of the world mathematically.
TheOldHag
I think I just had a confrontation with new math. My daughter was asked to show two ways of solving the problem 4 + 5. Naturally, she put

4 + 5 = 9
5 + 4 = 9

To me, this demonstrates commutativity of addition, which is fundamental to arithmetic. Beside that, she is at the point where adding such small number is automatic.

Well, she got the question wrong because she didn't draw circles in squares in one instance and sticks in another instance.

Is this why America lags behind the rest of the world mathematically? I've always thought of myself as a liberal. Is this liberalism gone off a cliff?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheOldHag said:
I think I just had a confrontation with new math. My daughter was asked to show two ways of solving the problem 4 + 5. Naturally, she put

4 + 5 = 9
5 + 4 = 9

To me, this demonstrates commutativity of addition, which is fundamental to arithmetic. Beside that, she is at the point where adding such small number is automatic.

Well, she got the question wrong because she didn't draw circles in squares in one instance and sticks in another instance.

Is this why America lags behind the rest of the world mathematically? I've always thought of myself as a liberal. Is this liberalism gone off a cliff?

Thats ludicrous are you seriously telling me that they marked her wrong for answering that way? Did you contact the teacher ?

I suggested to my wife it may be a good idea to mention it. But I think this is part of some wider philosophy on how to teach mathematics that is probably not informed by real mathematicians.

Stupid, how is drawing two different sets of symbols two different methods?

In these instances, I am always reminded of "Lockhart's Lament"

It is somewhat long, but very well worth the read.

Incidentally, I was also reminded of this in the "Should we teach elementary math" thread, which was somewhat abruptly closed before I was able to post it.

Edit For Clarity:
I think that your child's math teacher is probably following some very basic manual. The teacher may not even be aware (or remember) that the integers form a ring, and so are commutative. etc, etc.

I find it very sad.

Last edited:
I just found that the proper term for this sort of math is Everyday Math. Great way to catch up with the rest of the word - teach math as a series of disjoint circle and block games. What a joke.

TheOldHag said:

LOL

Hahaha. That's a good one.

I've bookmarked "Lockhart's Lament". Looks like a good read.

What is "First Grade Math: Unconventional Solutions?"

"First Grade Math: Unconventional Solutions" is a math curriculum designed for first grade students that focuses on solving problems in unconventional ways. This approach encourages creativity and critical thinking skills in young learners.

Why is it important to teach unconventional solutions in first grade math?

Teaching unconventional solutions in first grade math allows students to develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and promotes problem-solving skills. It also encourages students to think outside the box and develop their creativity.

What are some examples of unconventional solutions in first grade math?

Examples of unconventional solutions in first grade math may include using visual aids, manipulatives, and real-life scenarios to solve math problems. It may also involve using different strategies, such as breaking apart numbers or using estimation, to find a solution.

How can parents support their child's learning of unconventional solutions in first grade math?

Parents can support their child's learning of unconventional solutions in first grade math by encouraging them to think creatively and providing opportunities for hands-on learning. They can also ask their child open-ended questions about math problems to help them develop critical thinking skills.

What are the benefits of teaching unconventional solutions in first grade math?

Teaching unconventional solutions in first grade math has several benefits, including promoting critical thinking skills, developing creativity, and fostering a deeper understanding of math concepts. It also helps students see math as more than just a set of rules and procedures, but as a tool for problem-solving in everyday life.