First interstellar advertisement

In summary, high-powered radars in the Arctic Circle broadcasted an advertisement for Doritos tortilla chips into space for the first time. The advertisement was aimed towards a solar system 42 light years away that could potentially support extraterrestrial life. However, some people have expressed concern about the potential negative impression this advertisement could give of our species. Others have joked about the possibility of being invaded by giant Dorito creatures.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
It could be the longest commercial break in history. Over a six-hour period this morning, high-powered radars in the Arctic Circle broadcast an advertisement into space for the first time.

The advertisement, for Doritos tortilla chips, was being directed towards a solar system in the Ursa Major constellation, just 42 light years from Earth. The solar system contains a habitable zone, and could host an Earth-like planet and extraterrestrial life.
click me

If this were april first, I'd dismiss this in the blink of an eye :confused:
While I'm not against the idea as such, what kind of first impression about our species would this give anyone who does receive it on the other end?

Physics news on Phys.org
matthyaouw said:
[what kind of first impression about our species would this give anyone who does receive it on the other end?
That depends. If they are shaped like Doritos, it could pose a problem.

jimmysnyder said:
That depends. If they are shaped like Doritos, it could pose a problem.
:rofl: Good point.

Who knows, maybe it violates some Galactic ordinance on wasteful use of EM fields.

I thought we were supposed to write out 'Coke is Life' in supernovas...

I knew about the strawberry ice cream... As per Jimmy, let's just hope that we aren't invaded by giant Dorito creatures. That would be terrible!

1. What is a "First Interstellar Advertisement"?

A "First Interstellar Advertisement" refers to the first time that a company or organization has paid to have their product or message displayed in outer space, specifically targeting extraterrestrial beings.

2. How is a "First Interstellar Advertisement" created and displayed?

A "First Interstellar Advertisement" is typically created using advanced technology, such as lasers or radio waves, to display a message or image in outer space. It is then transmitted towards a specific location in space, with the hope of reaching intelligent alien life forms.

3. Why would a company invest in a "First Interstellar Advertisement"?

Companies may invest in a "First Interstellar Advertisement" as a way to gain publicity and stand out in a crowded market. It could also be seen as a way to demonstrate their technological capabilities and innovation to potential customers.

4. Is there any guarantee that an extraterrestrial being will see a "First Interstellar Advertisement"?

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that an extraterrestrial being will see a "First Interstellar Advertisement". The vastness of space and the possibility that intelligent life exists in other parts of the universe make it difficult to predict who or what may come across the advertisement.

5. What are the potential ethical implications of a "First Interstellar Advertisement"?

Some may argue that a "First Interstellar Advertisement" raises ethical concerns, as it could potentially be seen as a form of pollution in space. It also raises questions about the intentions and motivations behind targeting extraterrestrial beings with advertisements.