1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First isomorphism theorem

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

can someone explain the 1st isomorphism theorem to me(in simple words) i really dont get it

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2
    Why don't you write down the 1st isomorphism theorem, so people here will actually know what are you talking about. Not everybody might have learned that theorem adressed with the same name as you!

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3
    If G and H are groups and f is a homomorphism from G to H, then the kernel K of f is a normal subgroup of G, the image of f is a subgroup of H, and the quotient group G /K is isomorphic to the image of f.

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If f: G-> H, then

The kernel, K, of f is a subgroup of G - {x in G such that f(G)= eH}

The Image, I, of f is a subgroup of H- {y in H such that y= f(x) for some x in G}

1) K is a normal subgroup of G.

2) G/K is isomorphic to I.

Do you understand what "homomorphism" and "isomorphism" mean? Do you understand what a "normal subgroup" is and what "G/K" is?

6. Nov 4, 2008 #5
    can you specify G/K is isomorphic to I.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?