Finding a Function from (G x K) to (G/H) x (K/L) for First Isomorphism Theorem

In summary: Then use phi2 to map the coset representative of kH to K/L.In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a function from (G x K) to (G/H)x(K/L). The text says that to do this, you need to use two different phis, one to map G to the coset (or coset representative) of gH, and the other to map the coset representative of kH to K/L.
mykayla10

Homework Statement

Suppose H is a normal subgroup G and L is a subgroup of K. Then (G x K)/(H x L) is isomorphic to (G/H) x (K/L)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to use the First Isomorphism Theorem, but in order to do that I need some function phi. I am having a really difficult time finding a function from (G x K) to (G/H)x(K/L). If I have this I am almost certain I can complete the proof with the First Isomorphism Theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the problem say "L is a subgroup of K"? It's not necessarily a normal subgroup, correct?

It says that L is a normal subgroup of K.

mykayla10 said:
It says that L is a normal subgroup of K.

That's good. You have already studied the picture where there is homomorphism from G to some other group (which could also be G) and map phi1 from G to G/H.

Livewise you can have a picture where there is a map from K to some other group and a map phi2 from K to K/L. The group G X K is just ordered pairs of elements from the two groups that look like {g, k}. You can use phi1 to map the g-element into G/H and the phi2 map to map the k-element into K/L. That defines a map from GxH to G/H x K/L.

you are allowed to use two different phis??

You define a single map, often called phi1 x phi2, whose definition involves using both phi1 and phi2. So I suppose the answer is "yes, you are allowed to use two different phis", but you must word it so you are defining a single map by using them.

Ok, so that makes sense. Now I am lost as to what the two phis should look like. phi1: G ->G/H and phi2: K -> K/L. However, I don't know what these look like. I am so bad at proofs.

Read what your text says about G/H as a group. It might say that the elements of G/H are cosets of H or it might say thay are "coset representatives" or something like that. Whatever the terminology, to get a homomorphism phi1 from G to G/H, map the element G to the coset (or coset representative of) gH.

What is the First Isomorphism Theorem?

The First Isomorphism Theorem is a fundamental theorem in abstract algebra that states the relationship between the structure of two groups and the structure of their quotient group.

How does the First Isomorphism Theorem work?

The First Isomorphism Theorem states that if there exists a homomorphism between two groups, then the quotient group formed by the kernel of the homomorphism and the subgroup of the codomain is isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism.

What is a homomorphism in the context of the First Isomorphism Theorem?

A homomorphism is a function that preserves the group operations, meaning that it maps the operation of one group to the operation of another group. In other words, the homomorphism preserves the structure of the groups.

What is the role of the kernel in the First Isomorphism Theorem?

The kernel of a homomorphism is the set of elements in the domain group that map to the identity element in the codomain group. In the First Isomorphism Theorem, the kernel is used to form the quotient group, which is isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism.

How is the First Isomorphism Theorem useful in mathematics?

The First Isomorphism Theorem is a powerful tool in abstract algebra, as it allows for the comparison of the structure of two groups through a homomorphism. It is also used in other branches of mathematics, such as topology and algebraic geometry.