First law of thermodynamics applied to a closed system

In summary: I did the same thing for this part I read the data for uf and ufg from the tables @ 100kPa and applied it to this equation: yavg=yf+x(yfg) and got:uavg=417+0.25(2088.2) =939.65Which I then plugged into ΔU=mΔu, seeing as its the same state I only needed uavg:U= 5kg*1147.87 = 4695.25 kJ3.) In the statement it says at state 2 all the water is vaporized which would make it a quality of 1
Luchekv

Homework Statement

- A well insulated rigid steel tank contains water (only)
- A resistance heating element (240V, 3.67Amp) designed to heat the water as well as inlet and outlet valves for - the water.
- At state-1, the water is in a saturated liquid-vapor mixture state at P(abs)=100kPa, measures 5kg and the portion of it in liquid form is 75%, the rest being vapor
- To reach state-2, more power is supplied to the heater, but just enough to vaporize all the remaining liquid. When all the liquid is vaporized, the heater is switched off.

1.) Calculate the (average) specific volume (units: m3 /kg) for the water at state-1.
2.) Calculate the total internal energy (units: kJ) for the water at state-1.
3.) Calculate the (average) specific volume (units: m3 /kg) for the water at state-2.

Homework Equations

yavg=yf+x(yfg)
ΔU=mΔu

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) [/B]I went to the tables and read of the vf and vg data @ 100kPa. For quality, seeing as 75% is liquid that would make it 0.35. I applied that data to the following equation: yavg=yf+x(yfg) and got:
vavg = 0.001043+0.25(1.6941-0.001043) = 0.4243 m^3/kg

2.) I did the same thing for this part I read the data for uf and ufg from the tables @ 100kPa and applied it to this equation: yavg=yf+x(yfg) and got:
uavg=417+0.25(2088.2) =939.65
Which I then plugged into ΔU=mΔu, seeing as its the same state I only needed uavg:
U= 5kg*1147.87 = 4695.25 kJ

3.) In the statement it says at state 2 all the water is vaporized which would make it a quality of 1 and it would be a saturated vapor..so all I did was read of the value for saturated vapor at 100kPa which is 1.6941m^3/kg

Wasn't 100% on a few of these, any feed back would be great :)
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Luchekv said:

Homework Statement

- A resistance heating element (240V, 3.67Amp) designed to heat the water as well as inlet and outlet valves for - the water.
- At state-1, the water is in a saturated liquid-vapor mixture state at P(abs)=100kPa, measures 5kg and the portion of it in liquid form is 75%, the rest being vapor
- To reach state-2, more power is supplied to the heater, but just enough to vaporize all the remaining liquid. When all the liquid is vaporized, the heater is switched off.

1.) Calculate the (average) specific volume (units: m3 /kg) for the water at state-1.
3.) Calculate the (average) specific volume (units: m3 /kg) for the water at state-2.

Homework Equations

yavg=yf+x(yfg)
ΔU=mΔu

1.) [/B]I went to the tables and read of the vf and vg data @ 100kPa. For quality, seeing as 75% is liquid that would make it 0.35. I applied that data to the following equation: yavg=yf+x(yfg) and got:
vavg = 0.001043+0.35(1.6941-0.001043) = 0.5936 m^3/kg

If 75% is liquid and 35% is vapor, where did the extra 10% come from?

Likes Luchekv
*sigh* Stupid error... how embarrassing haha. Apart from that is the way I went about it correct?

Luchekv said:
*sigh* Stupid error... how embarrassing haha. Apart from that is the way I went about it correct?
You seemed to start off OK, but I stopped checking when I got to the quality mistake.

I have gone back and fixed the errors.

Part 3 is done incorrectly. The pressure is no longer 100 kPa after the water is heated to the point where all the liquid water has vaporized. But, what actually is still constant?

Chet

Luchekv said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

yavg=yf+x(yfg)
ΔU=mΔu

No, you still aren't applying the concept of vapor quality correctly to calculate the properties of a mixture of vapor and liquid.

If x% is vapor, then (100 - x%) will be liquid, and you must calculate the thermo properties of the mixture accordingly.

https://www.engineersedge.com/thermodynamics/steam_tables.htm

SteamKing said:
No, you still aren't applying the concept of vapor quality correctly to calculate the properties of a mixture of vapor and liquid.

If x% is vapor, then (100 - x%) will be liquid, and you must calculate the thermo properties of the mixture accordingly.

Hmmm. It looks correct to me. 0.25x1.6941+0.75x0.001043
What am I missing?

Chet

Likes Luchekv
Chestermiller said:
Hmmm. It looks correct to me. 0.25x1.6941+0.75x0.001043
What am I missing?

Chet
Below is the OP's calculation, Chet. Notice something different w.r.t. your calculation?
Luchekv said:

I looked on the website you supplied and read this "v=vf+x(vfg)" isn't that what I've done? The way I look at it is..if 75% is liquid its closer to the Sat Liq point (0 quality) on the Tv diagram.

Also, me and Chet get the same answer?
Chestermiller said:
Part 3 is done incorrectly. The pressure is no longer 100 kPa after the water is heated to the point where all the liquid water has vaporized. But, what actually is still constant?

Chet

The mass would be constant so then I could use v = V/m ...but I don't have volume so I would then need to rearrange ρ=m/V but I don't have ρ...would it be correct to assume temperature is constant as well? since its only moving along (horizontally) the Tv diagram...because if that's the case I can use the temperature @ 100kPa in the tables to get the density for water for that temperature

SteamKing said:
Below is the OP's calculation, Chet. Notice something different w.r.t. your calculation?
It's not really different. It's just doing the factoring differently. The result is the same.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
It's not really different. It's just doing the factoring differently. The result is the same.

Chet
You and the OP are missing the point.

Take a look at the OP's calculation of internal energy:
Luchekv said:
uavg=417+0.25(2088.2) =939.65

The OP is taking 100% of the internal energy of the liquid phase ...

I'm really confused now haha... I know x = mVapor/mTotal...if 25% is vapor of the 5kg of mass = 1.25kg/5kg = 0.25?

Thank you for your patience guys

Luchekv said:
I'm really confused now haha... I know x = mVapor/mTotal...if 25% is vapor of the 5kg of mass = 1.25kg/5kg = 0.25?

Thank you for your patience guys
Yes, 25% of the mass is vapor, and 75% of the mass is liquid. When you figure the thermo properties for a liquid-vapor mixture, you've got to use the proportions of each property to find the property for that combination of liquid and vapor.

For example, if you want to calculate the internal energy of this mixture of liquid water and water vapor, you can't use 100% of the internal energy of the liquid and 25% of the internal energy of the vapor, you can only have 75% of the internal energy of the liquid, because only 75% of the sample is liquid ...

That's why I linked to this article:

Likes Luchekv
SteamKing said:
You and the OP are missing the point.

Take a look at the OP's calculation of internal energy:The OP is taking 100% of the internal energy of the liquid phase ...
Oh. I assumed the 2088 was the difference between the liquid and the vapor.

Chet

I understand what you're saying, but if I'm to follow this equation "v=vf+x(vfg)" and just above I worked the quality out to be 0.25..I don't see what else I'm supposed to use for x ?

2088 is the difference "ufg" (2505.6-417)

Luchekv said:
I looked on the website you supplied and read this "v=vf+x(vfg)" isn't that what I've done? The way I look at it is..if 75% is liquid its closer to the Sat Liq point (0 quality) on the Tv diagram.

Also, me and Chet get the same answer?

The mass would be constant so then I could use v = V/m ...but I don't have volume so I would then need to rearrange ρ=m/V but I don't have ρ...would it be correct to assume temperature is constant as well? since its only moving along (horizontally) the Tv diagram...because if that's the case I can use the temperature @ 100kPa in the tables to get the density for water for that temperature
Both the mass of water and the volume of the container are constant. So, if that's the situation, how does the average specific volume in case 1 compare with the specific volume of the pure vapor in case 3?

Chet

Ok..so I have 5kg of water and my spec volume for state 1 is 0.4243m^3/kg...to get the volume of state one that would be m*v1 = 2.1215m^3/kg

considering volume is constant V1=V2...therefore v2=V2/m ---> v2=2.1215/5= 0.4243...which should be the case since no mass has left the system and the volume hasn't changed.

I'm still confused as to what's wrong with my quality equations...is my quality value wrong? or the numbers I've used from the tables? I've used the equation provided. I don't see what is incorrect. How am I using 100% of the liquid phase for u when I've followed the equation uavg=uf +xufg ? :\ was I supposed to multiply 0.75 to uf? if so..then that's not really following the equation.

Last edited:
OK. So the specific volume of the vapor for case 3 is 0.4243 m^3/kg. From your steam tables, what saturation pressure, temperature, and specific internal energy of the vapor does this correspond to? For 5 kg of this vapor, what is its internal energy?

Chet

Apologies for the delay, had a mid semester exam to study for,
(Had to interpolate)
Sat Pressure: 439.229kPa (0.46242-0.41392)/(0.4243-0.41392)=(400-450)/(x-450)
Temp: 146.982 degrees Celsius (0.46242-0.41392)/(0.4243-0.41392)=(143.61-147.9)/(x-147.9)
Internal energy (avg): 2556.24 kJ/kg (0.46242-0.41392)/(0.4243-0.41392)=(2553.1-2557.1)/(x-2557.1)

U = m* uavg = 12781.2 kJ

Likes Chestermiller
I assume by the like, that it is correct haha?

Luchekv said:
I assume by the like, that it is correct haha?
Yes. I didn't check your arithmetic, but your approach is correct.

Chet

Likes Luchekv
Awesome, thank you! - I will double check the interpolation regardless

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that in a closed system, the total amount of energy remains constant.

2. How is the first law of thermodynamics applied to a closed system?

In a closed system, energy can only be transferred in the form of heat or work. This means that the change in internal energy of the system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

3. What is a closed system?

A closed system is a system that does not exchange matter with its surroundings, but can exchange energy in the form of heat or work.

4. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to the conservation of energy?

The first law of thermodynamics is a specific application of the conservation of energy principle. It states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant, which is in line with the general principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed.

5. Can the first law of thermodynamics be violated?

No, the first law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature that has been proven to hold true in all cases. It is a fundamental principle of physics and cannot be violated.