1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Law of Thermodynamics question

1. Jul 24, 2005 #1
    a quantity of gas in a cylinder recieves 1600J of heat from a hot plate. At the same time 800J of work are done on the gas by outside forces pressing down on a piston. Calculate the change in thermal energy of the gas

Input heat Q = 1600J
    The amount of work done on the gas is, W = 800J

now i'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to set this up

do I use U = Q - W
    or Q = W + U

so i either get 800J or 2400J for the answer for U

i know its a simple question but i think i'm just a bit confused conceptually. any help would be great :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2005 #2
    It should be [itex]\Delta U = Q + W[/itex], where Q is the heat input to the system and W is the work done on the system. In [itex]\Delta U = Q - W[/itex], W is the work done by the system.
  4. Jul 24, 2005 #3
    you are correct.
    it's the first form:
    ΔU = Q - W,
    where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added to the system, and W is the work done by the system. of course, when work is done to the system (like your problem), W is negative, so that -W is positive, resulting in an increase in internal energy (like your problem):
    ΔU = (1600) - (-800) = 2400 J
    check here for more info:
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?