Does the First Law of Thermodynamics Allow for Heat Generation During Stirring?

In summary, the conversation discusses a system composed of a gas+stirrer and how work is done on the system to generate heat. The system undergoes a process where its measurable properties change and the assumption that work done equals heat lost to the surroundings is questioned. The quantity of heat transferred is equal to the work added to the system, and the final temperature of the gas is the same as the initial temperature of the surroundings. The conversation also mentions that the initial stirring only increases the internal energy of the system rather than actual heat transfer.
AAMAIK
Consider a system composed of a gas+stirrer at state 1, Work is done on the system by a rotating shaft, the stirrer activates high speed generating a significant amount of heat. The system is undergoing a process because the set of measurable properties to define its state are changing, If I disconnect the source delivering work, and let the gas cool down by putting my system in a cooler surrounding, it will release heat. If the assumption: Work done of my system=heat lost to the surrounding is true then consequently the initial state and final states are the same, but I can't accept this assumption as truth. For heat transfer to take place I have to place my system in a cooler surrounding, how is the quantity of heat transferred equal the work I added to my system

Engineering news on Phys.org
The initial system is at the same temperature as the surrounding environment? I'll assume so.
AAMAIK said:
Work done of my system=heat lost to the surrounding is true then consequently the initial state and final states are the same
If you only look at gas+stirrer this is true.
AAMAIK said:
For heat transfer to take place I have to place my system in a cooler surrounding
Cooler than the system after stirring.
AAMAIK said:
how is the quantity of heat transferred equal the work I added to my system
How could it be different? Energy is conserved and your system has a fixed energy to temperature relation (assuming nothing else happens in your gas, no chemical reactions and so on). If initial and final temperature are the same then initial and final energy are the same, and energy out = energy in.

Likes AAMAIK
At the end of the stirring process, the temperature of the gas is higher than its initial temperature: $$\Delta U_1=nC_v(T_1-T_0)=-W$$where -W is the work done by the stirrer on the gas. During the cooling step of your process, the gas cools down, and its final temperature is equal to its initial temperature (the temperature of the surroundings) prior to the stirring: $$\Delta U_2=nC_v(T_2-T_1)=nC_v(T_0-T_1)=Q=-\Delta U_1=W$$
When we say that the initial stirring "generates heat," what we are really very loosely saying is that the internal energy of the system increases, rather than any actual heat transfer being involved.

Likes AAMAIK

1. What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. Does the First Law of Thermodynamics allow for heat generation during stirring?

Yes, the First Law of Thermodynamics allows for heat generation during stirring. When a substance is stirred, mechanical energy is applied to it, which is then converted into heat energy due to friction between the stirring implement and the substance.

3. How does stirring affect the temperature of a substance?

Stirring can increase the temperature of a substance by transferring mechanical energy into it, leading to an increase in the substance's internal energy and thus its temperature. This is known as mechanical work heating.

4. Is there a limit to how much heat can be generated during stirring?

Yes, there is a limit to how much heat can be generated during stirring. This is because the First Law of Thermodynamics also states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant, meaning that the amount of heat generated cannot exceed the amount of mechanical energy applied.

5. Can heat generation during stirring be prevented?

No, heat generation during stirring cannot be completely prevented. However, measures can be taken to minimize it, such as using a more efficient stirring implement or reducing the speed of stirring to decrease friction and thus reduce the amount of heat generated.