First name

  • Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • #1
Lisa!
Gold Member
639
97
Do you like your first name? And what's your favotite first name?

I like names which are beautiful and short. But I have to admit that my name is always a disaster for me esp. at school and university! :cry:

My friend's expecting a baby and she's asked me to help her to choose a name. Her child will be a boy. But I don't know what to say.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
Lisa! said:
Do you like your first name? And what's your favotite first name?

I like names which are beautiful and short. But I have to admit that my name is always a disaster for me esp. at school and university! :cry:

My friend's expecting a baby and she's asked me to help her to choose a name. Her child will be a boy. But I don't know what to say.

I was born in my grand parents house, and was named after a little bird
that landed on the window sill :grumpy: I have suffered ever since.
 
  • #3
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
330
84
wolram said:
I was born in my grand parents house, and was named after a little bird
that landed on the window sill :grumpy: I have suffered ever since.
You should consider yourself lucky. My parents were stranded at sea, floating on an empty keg when I was born.

Lisa!, I understand completely. How could any parent be so cruel as to make their poor child go through life dragging an explanation point at the end of their name??!!
 
  • #4
rocketboy
243
1
My first name is Jonathan and I've never had any problems with it. I usually go by Jon because it's shorter...most of my friends call me 'Jonny'.
 
  • #5
ek
182
0
I like my name, Evan. Most of my friends though call me E.K.(my initials if you hadn't guessed), hence my username.
 
  • #6
Physics_wiz
227
0
George.

This sentence is just to go over the 10 characters min.
 
  • #7
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
1,802
5
I was named after the lead in a Harlequin romance novel. Thankfully, he happened to have the same name as the mythical first man from the biblical creation story.
 
  • #8
Lisa!
Gold Member
639
97
BobG said:
Lisa!, I understand completely. How could any parent be so cruel as to make their poor child go through life dragging an explanation point at the end of their name??!!
Actaully I'm angry why we can't have ! in our first names! :grumpy:
I think BobG's parents were very wise, they knew thier child would grow up as a evil child, so they named him Bob. :wink:
 
  • #9
JamesU
Gold Member
805
3
I thought there were no evil bobs :wink:
 
  • #10
honestrosewater
Gold Member
2,136
5
Rachel. My friends used to call me Rach. I don't mind it.

For a boy, I like Victor.
 
  • #11
Evo
Mentor
23,923
3,251
My first name is .......... :grumpy: They called me ....... for short. :devil: I have always hated my first name. :frown:
 
  • #12
Evo said:
My first name is .......... :grumpy: They called me ....... for short. :devil: I have always hated my first name. :frown:

'Grumpy' ?
'Devil' ?

C'mon Evo, we need to know.
 
  • #13
fourier jr
757
13
when the time comes to have a daughter, how about ambrosia? (comes from the greek word meaning 'immortal') i'll just throw that name out there. how does that first name sound? it has always been hard to think up a good name for a son though for some reason.
 
  • #14
Lisa!
Gold Member
639
97
I hope you wouldn't call each other by first name, because it could make a mess in this site esp. for a poor n00b!:wink:
 
  • #15
gurkhawarhorse
44
0
my name was kept by combining my parents first name. :frown:
i dont like it though. :cry:
its a bit weird with no funny meaning.
but my friends call me naz. i'm fine with that.
 
  • #16
Lisa!
Gold Member
639
97
Funny meaning? You don't want people laugh whenever someone calls you, do you?
 
  • #17
TheStatutoryApe
260
4
I don't like my name much. It's not a bad name really but not very exciting. What I really don't like about it though is that it's the same as my father.
A friend of the family named her son Baxter. I'm not sure if I would really like being named Baxter. It's differant and a bit interesting but... not really my cupa.
I've always wanted a daughter so I've always thought of girls names for naming a child. I like Bridget and Roselyne. For a male I kinda of like Elijah.
 
  • #18
LURCH
Science Advisor
2,557
118
I've allways thought Euphoria and Epiphany would make pretty names for girls. The girl's name I like best is Tabitha.

My own naem is Brian, wich is a little too vannila for me, but it does mean "strength and virtue", and is an anagram for "brain", wich is one of my favorite organs.
 
  • #19
zoobyshoe
6,551
1,286
Evo said:
My first name is Rumplestiltskin :grumpy: They called me "Rumpy" for short. :devil: I have always hated my first name. :frown:
...............
 
  • #20
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1,874
10
LURCH said:
I've allways thought Euphoria and Epiphany would make pretty names for girls. The girl's name I like best is Tabitha.

My own naem is Brian, wich is a little too vannila for me, but it does mean "strength and virtue", and is an anagram for "brain", wich is one of my favorite organs.

Epiphany was a student at my school a few years back, no kidding! (Never in my class though). I have had in my classes every permutation of girls names ending in "...anda" ("Shanda, laQuanda, Lazanda, Eshanda, Zonda) must've been "in" about 18 years ago.

As for boy's names I have no choices other than Simon and Ben (my own son's, 2-1/2 y.o. and 6 mo. respectively). I can not get past the fact that those are the best two names in the world. I might be biased.

Oh yeah, me also Brian. Monty Python did a lot for us, you know:

"Vewy well, I welease Bwian!"
 
  • #21
Evo
Mentor
23,923
3,251
zoobyshoe said:
Originally Posted by Evo, now decrypted by Z. Shoe
My first name is Rumplestiltskin They called me "Rumpy" for short. I have always hated my first name.
Zoob...I told you to never speak my name. :devil:
 
  • #22
Tsu
Gold Member
411
63
Evo said:
Zoob...I told you to never speak my name. :devil:

What's gonna happen to him now?
 
  • #23
Evo
Mentor
23,923
3,251
Tsu said:
What's gonna happen to him now?
Ooooh, let's think of something really good...I mean bad. :devil:

What would be the worst thing you could make a zooby do?
 
  • #24
Tsu
Gold Member
411
63
I've decided not to think anymore. It gets me in trouble, gives me a headache and causes brain damage. I'm gonna have to let you decide this one while I get quietly ****-faced.
 
Last edited:
  • #25
bomba923
760
0
Let's have some Russian text here-->
*My first name is

'Михаил', and just 'Миша' for short :smile:
(Cronxeh can read this)

(...и как вас завут ?)
 
Last edited:
  • #26
Tsu
Gold Member
411
63
bomba923 said:
My first name is
Михаил, and Миша for short :biggrin:

Gesundheit :biggrin:

see? 20 min. after my last post and i'm already half way there. i'm a cheap date... :rofl: :rofl:
 
Last edited:
  • #27
Tsu
Gold Member
411
63
Lisa!!!!!!!!!1111

Sorry i hijacked your thread, honey. I''m off to the Tiki bar or some other party. Join me when you can? :wink:
 
  • #28
TheStatutoryApe
260
4
Evo said:
Ooooh, let's think of something really good...I mean bad. :devil:

What would be the worst thing you could make a zooby do?
Have him tied down and completely shaven?
 
  • #29
honestrosewater
Gold Member
2,136
5
Make him give you his first-born! Er, or the shaving bit sounds good too. Then rub him with alcohol. The stingier, the better. :approve: (that's sting-y-er, BTW.)
 
Last edited:
  • #30
Lisa!
Gold Member
639
97
Tsu said:
Lisa!!!!!!!!!1111

Sorry i hijacked your thread, honey. I''m off to the Tiki bar or some other party. Join me when you can? :wink:
I don't think Tiki bar would be a good place to decide about Zooby penalty. So continue here, please! :wink:
 
  • #31
Tsu
Gold Member
411
63
honestrosewater said:
Make him give you his first-born! Er, or the shaving bit sounds good too. Then rub him with alcohol. The stingier, the better. :approve: (that's sting-y-er, BTW.)

Good GOD, woman!! What in the world would we do with the first born of a ZOOBY??? :surprised I absolutely shudder to even think of it. :eek: But I like the shaving and sting-y alcohol bit... :biggrin:
 
  • #32
big man
254
1
I always that that Desk was a pretty cool name...maybe Spatula is up there as well. It's always good to be unique even though your kid might suffer the consequences of having a stupid frickin' name for the rest of their life.

But seriously I'd have to go for Kakapeepeeshire. It just rolls off the tongue ;)
 
  • #33
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,277
2
It'd be funny to name your son Alan, middle name Alda. Then when he's off doing something he shouldn't be doing and you get angry at him, you can say, "Alan Alda, you get over here right now!"
 
  • #34
Gale
676
2
i hate the name abby, but everyone calls me it. abigale is a pretty name, and i like my way of spelling it. I like the name Gale as well. its the only version of my name i capitalize, cause i hate capital letters, (especially A's) but i like capital G's. I sometimes go by my middle name, marie, because i think its pretty.

i want my first daughter to be named Vesper, i think its a really beauitful name. And i think i like the name Jonas for my first son.
 
  • #35
TheStatutoryApe
260
4
How about Anathema Device? :biggrin:
 

Suggested for: First name

  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
301
  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
596
  • Last Post
Replies
23
Views
1K
Replies
2
Views
268
Replies
3
Views
642
Replies
2
Views
252
Replies
16
Views
1K
Replies
4
Views
389
Replies
1
Views
373
Replies
9
Views
519
Top