Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First new Images from Hubble!

1. Sep 9, 2009 #1
    New Images just released from Nasa-
    So happy we still have Hubble!

They're everywhere on online, though
    You can find them on Youtube, at "Hubble Spectacular First Light Images in HD".

cheers,
    joono

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 9, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Souped-Up Hubble Makes A Comeback
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112684702

http://www.hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2009/25/

Looking forward to more great images! :cool:

5. Sep 10, 2009 #4
    All images I've ever seen from the hubble have left me in awe. Which is why I have concluded they were all made in photoshop (nothing that beautiful can exist in real life).

:D joking. These are really some more GREAT pictures to add to the hubble collection. Just keeps gettin better 'nd better.

6. Sep 10, 2009 #5

Astronuc

I too am in awe of the images of the universe as seen through the 'eye' of Hubble Space Telescope. Of course digital technology could be used to generate such pictures, and in the past we've seen digitally or colour enhanced images. But I've seen similar pictures through a reflector telescope without enhancement - so I know they are more or less real.

7. Sep 11, 2009 #6
    Too bad they are not good for desktop wallpaper - tried a few, turned out grainy. Photoshop definitely needs to play on those.

8. Sep 11, 2009 #7
    Which image did you download? I downloaded the large version of the lensing cluster Abell~370 and it looks pretty good as a wallpaper.

9. Sep 13, 2009 #8
    Tried a few in the wallpaper section. All have multicolored pixel noise, especially the nebulaes. My monitor is 1680x1050 pixels and I can clearly see non-uniform colors and colored noise in the darker areas, it's either they didn't process the pics well or it's just limitation of the telescope itself.

10. Sep 13, 2009 #9

russ_watters

I see some on the first one, but it looks like a crop and blow-up of the HUDF. The crab neubla looks good to me.

Generally, though, they don't apply all the processing amateurs do - smoothing the image would decrease the real data and decrease the scientific value.

11. Sep 14, 2009 #10
    Here is a link to the Abell 370 very large image:

http://www.hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2009/25/image/ao/warn/"

I'm not sure if you downloaded these large versions, but they are available for the other images, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook